FORUMS: list search recent posts

disappearing Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
disappearing Files
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:53:56 am

I lost a whole lot of files from a 1080P project. I seemed to lose render files, and my project has gone from a finnished project to half finnished. I am getting no luck in the auto save vault.
Is there any hope of resurection? and where could the files have gone?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: disappearing Files
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:02:47 pm

Did you misplace the files? Did your dog eat them?

Silly questions right? Well how would anyone be able to help you Anthony without askng you a bunch of silly questions? You haven't included even a single clue that would lead any of us to help in solving your mystery.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Feb 2, 2010 at 11:42:50 pm

fair enough!

firstly I don't have a dog, so we can rule that one out!

basically i finnished a sequence XDCAM 1080 on my 8 core mac in FCP 6.06
I exported it using compressor and made a H.264 file of the finnished product for delivery. A week passes, I re-open the project to copy and paste some effects. and it is like it has stepped back in time to when it was half made. it is a composite piece and art is not in place, music is not there. all the original art and files are still on my HDD but it is like the EDL has lost a pile of render files. I tried restoring it with no luck.

this time i have an already made back up, but it would kill me if it happened to a project that i was just about finnished.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:37:58 am

Anthony,

It sounds as if you might have used improper naming conventions somewhere along the line. Do you use things such as /&#( or ) in your file names or reel numbers? Do you even have reel numbers?

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:32:09 am

no unusual names, just letters and numbers. no reel numbers either. but all the files are there.

the video is in place, just the EDL has reverted to a time way back in the post production?

The only thing i can imagine having done that may effect this (and i could be wrong) I changed some to AEs disk cache settings after AE refused to auto trace some composite work, the auto suggestion had me changin the cache settings (to no avail) But that is another story i guess....

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:57:08 am

[anthony Faulkner] "no reel numbers either"

That can actually be the problem Anthony. If timecodes repeat and there are no reels numbers, FCP can become confused.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:40:59 am

Ok, Ive resigned myself to not being able to resurect this project, but I will change my naming methods fron this point on.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Anthony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]