FORUMS: list search recent posts

UPRESING SD 480i to HD 1080i – compressor settings?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason O'Hara
UPRESING SD 480i to HD 1080i – compressor settings?
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:27:17 am

What settings do I need to input in compressor to get the best results? I have both Anamorphic and regular SD, both needing upresing to 1080/60i. Specifically, how do I minimize interlace artifacts?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: UPRESING SD 480i to HD 1080i – compressor settings?
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:41:15 am

The manual goes into all the settings and what they do, you have to run test to see what works the better and what transcoding times you can live with.

In the manual look at the Frame Control section. There are presets for the upconvertion that gets you started but the Frame Controls have to be set by you.

Return to posts index

Jason O'Hara
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:04:12 am

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I have no external monitor so am comparing my outputs on my computer monitor - does it provide me any reliable reference for interlace artifacts or is just completely misleading? because all my upres attempts -regardless of settings i set in frame controls look terribly interlaced, except when I select "progressive" as my output field? it seems to be the best. I'm also confused what "output field" really means - because regardless what I select in the output field dialogue - the real output is always "Upper" because it is HDV 1080/60i?

Can anyone advise what a good general setting would be in frame controls to upres 480i to 1080/60i, I've been searching for days online and can't find anything?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:57:12 am

How are you viewing the footage on the computer, In FCP you have to set the viewer or canvas to 100% to see the real image, and even that it is not true interlace. In QT same thing set the view to actual size.

One issue you have is 480i is lower and 1080i is upper field 1st. This could be causing the issue. In FCP what happens if you apply the Swap Fields filter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]