FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AG hmc40 with Imac and final cut express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Rashid
Panasonic AG hmc40 with Imac and final cut express
on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:40:28 am

Can anybody help me in this matter, I'm about to purchace the Panasonic Ag HMC 40 avchd camcorder amd IMac with 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
I would like to run Final cut Express, what i want to know is if this set up will be good enough for me to edit videos with out any glitches, just converted from the PC so I know mac can handle a lot with no problem, if someone can help me i will be most aprreciative.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Panasonic AG hmc40 with Imac and final cut express
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:24:32 am

FC Express only supports DV, HDV and Apple Intermediate codecs. acvhd needs to be converted to something else and you have a lot unless options with FCE over FCPro, Do yourself a favor spend the extra money and get FCP. You get compressor, Motion and DVDSP as well as a better workflow. If you can only get FCE I would recommend you looking for a HDV camera.

The system is a compromise but you can produce great stuff if you have the creative know-how. As far as a long term investment FCP is much better deal.

Do a search for iMac and FCP on this forums and you will see the short coming but once again you can do great work with that system.

Remember you have to have a 2nd drive for your media. NEVER capture and edit with media on the system drive. A FW800 will work fine.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:32:48 pm

[Michael Sacci] "FC Express only supports DV, HDV and Apple Intermediate codecs"

Not quite. FCE can only edit in two codecs DV and AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) when you capture HDV it acutely captures it as AIC.

[Michael Sacci] "acvhd needs to be converted to something else"

True but FCE can do that for you.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

Similar to how FCE captures HDV using AIC it converts AVCHD to AIC during the log and transfer process.

[Michael Sacci] "As far as a long term investment FCP is much better deal."

Absolutely no debate there, I would recommend FCP over FCE any day.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Kay Owens
Panasonic AG hmc40 with Imac and final cut pro
on Feb 19, 2010 at 1:57:37 am

I have Final Cut Pro and a new Panasonic HMC40 camera. My iMac does not have an HDMI port. What is the best way to get video from the camera into FCP?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Ben Lorenzen
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:30:51 pm

I've done some research on the topic as well because I am using FCE as well and just purchase the hmc40 as well. Doing research if you are using FCE4 it will work because it converts avcam to apple intermediate codec so you will be able to edit it. I have yet to do it, so hopefully it will work out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]