FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow/settings for 30p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
workflow/settings for 30p
on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:33:48 pm

Hi. I am testing out a workflow for a future project that is for the web. We have the Kodak Zi8 that amateurs are going to be shooting with. It is capable of shooting 1080p30, 720p60, 720p30. It will then need to be combined with footage from an HVX200 shot to tape (for budgetary reasons). My thinking was the best setup would be to shoot 720p30 on the kodak, then 480i 30p on the HVX. Then I would downconvert my 720 footage to 480 in order to have everything exist in the timeline together seamlessly.

I just did a test and it seems (and from reading other forum convos) that I need to capture the HVX footage at 29.97 and then change the field dominance to "None" after capturing. The Kodak footage imports with 29.97fps and "None" field dominance. When I put the downconverted 720 footage in the same timeline with the hvx footage (with timeline settings set to "None"), everything looks interlaced. I'm thinking I may have an issue in this plan because my understanding is that even in 30p the HVX still shoots interlaced, but the Kodak is truly progressive. I've tried various settings with no success.
Can anyone suggest a better workflow given the parameters or tell me how to tweak my settings?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: workflow/settings for 30p
on Jan 31, 2010 at 8:23:02 pm

HVX shoots true progressive but sends half of the frame at a time to the tape so you have 60 1/2 frames per second. (the true frame rate for video is 29.97) When you capture you should be capturing for a 30p (29.97) setting, This will put the 2 1/2 frames together and you will have true progressive.

Note: 2 1/2 frames of a progressive scan is not the same as 2 fields or interlaced scans. Interlaced field have a temporal difference of a 1/60 of a second but the progressives 1/2s are taken at the exact same time.

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Jan 31, 2010 at 8:30:55 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. So then is it correct to change the field dominance of the clip to None after capture? or should I keep it as captured (lower)? Does my Kodak Zi8 footage record the frames in the same way? And do you have any insight on how I can convert my 720p30 footage to work in the same timeline as this HVX footage? Thanks for you time.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:51:18 pm

I would captured as progressive, but you should be able to change it to none after the fact if it is already captured,

I don't know anything about the Kodak camera so just taken what you have stated. The one question to check is it shooting 29.97 and not a true 30 frames, hopefully it is 29.97

I would convert all the Kodak footage in Compressor, if you are shooting on tape with the HVX you have 16:9 NTSC DV footage, you want to make these settings

Codec: DV
Framerate: 29.97
Field Dominance: None, progressive
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 16:9

When developing a workflow like this make sure you are doing a lot of testing before converting a lot of footage to the process. Take samples all the way through, editing, exporting for web, making and viewing a DVD.

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:27:06 am

Yes the Kodak footage is 29.97 when imported from the SD card. And I am at the stage of testing small clips. The settings you mention for converting the video is what I have used. And when I bring all of the footage into the timeline (after changing clips' field dominance to non), I have FCP match the clip settings and nothing needs to be rendered, but I still have the problem of interlaced look. So just to clarify - I should change the field dominance to "none" on my hvx footage as well as on my converted kodak clip? And then I would assume the timeline settings should also be "none"? This is what I have tried without any luck. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Feb 1, 2010 at 5:16:21 am

I would make sure the footage is in fact shoot as 30.

How are you looking at the footage, to make this type of judgement your viewer or canvas has to be set at 100% anything else is giving you a proxy and DV doesn't do proxy very well.

Also cut a short piece together and output a H264 video as 29.97 progressive. How does this playback in QT Player.

But if you shoot progressive the clip setting should be NONE as well as the sequence setting.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Jun 2, 2010 at 2:46:52 pm

Hi...

I'm in the process of changing my workflow in FCP. We just started shooting with Canon's XH-A1s and the a 7d. We're not shooting 24p just yet, but starting with 30p. My question has to do with setup in FCP. I had been shooting anomorphic previously and my final product was DVD's. My final product will still be DVD's and I'm wondering what would be the best easy setup in FCP to deliver a DVD viewed 16:9 with the new equiptment.

help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]