FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D and my system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
Canon 7D and my system
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:46:23 pm

Quick question.

We are mulling over the Canon 7D. I have a MB w/ 2.1 GHZ Duo and 2GB ram. I currently have no issues with FCP Studio 2. We planned on shooting mostly in 480p and converting to edit in ProRes. Are these files going to slow my system down to a crawl or will I be ok for the most part.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Canon 7D and my system
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:16:06 am

my question would be why in the world would you shot 480p, even if you are going to the web more and more video is HD, and unless you are shooting stuff that has no shelf or limited shelf life I would shoot at least 720p. (I would edit with DVCProHD those for the drive reason below), It will be close to the size of SD ProRes.

As far as your system goes it would depend. Narrative editing with limited effects is would be fine. the things that bottleneck the MB is USB and FW400 only ports. But for A/B editing you would be fine. Not the best but you can get the job done.

Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Matt Jones
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:39:08 am

This is good news. We don't typically use many heavy effects, so that shouldn't be an issue. The 480p thing is still in talks, but we will be shooting in 720p also. The testing phase will tell us what we haven't already learned.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Jan 30, 2010 at 1:49:10 am

Conversion time from h264 from the Canon might be lengthy on your laptop.

Other than that - if you can edit in ProRes at X frame size today then you're fine if you stay in that codec.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]