FORUMS: list search recent posts

using .mp4 xdcam in FCP, problem. HELP!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Pierce
using .mp4 xdcam in FCP, problem. HELP!
on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:52:48 pm

I have about 350 clips shot on the JVC gy-hm100u camera, XDCAM EX format. I was going to use Premiere to edit them, so I shot them in MP4 file format, but since premiere is so buggy and crashes after 3 minutes of use, I have decided to give Adobe the middle finger and start editing this project in Final Cut Pro.

But, FCP wont read the MP4 files. I've downloaded JVC's plug-in to make FCP read MP4's, but that doesn't work because the files are not on an XDCAM host (the camera via usb, the card that it was recorded on, etc.) all the files are on an external HDD via usb.
I've even tried Sony's XDCAM Transfer software that came with the EX cameras, but the same problem occurs.

How in the world can I edit this in FCP?

PLEASE help me, as this project was started in August of 2009 and was only supposed to take a couple months max. It is now almost February and the client is getting VERY impatient.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: using .mp4 xdcam in FCP, problem. HELP!
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:07:31 pm

What version of FCP are you using?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Pierce
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:36:42 pm

Newest, version 7.

Return to posts index

Matt Kerstein
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:18:33 pm

Try exporting clips via compressor to the sequence codec u plan to use

Aloha & Mahalo from Maui

Return to posts index

Brent Pierce
on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:34:00 pm

I have. The problem is that i can't get them into compressor. It doesn't read the MP4 files. It gives me "Error trying to open source media files". I've also tried Mpeg Streamclip, same thing, it doesn't read them.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2010 at 1:46:58 am

Hi Brent,
You should have planned your workflow before. QT can not read these MP4.
Or you edit with PP or convert the clips with PP or you buy Calibrated to be able to read the MP4.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:13:22 am

[Brent Pierce] "I've downloaded JVC's plug-in to make FCP read MP4's, but that doesn't work because the files are not on an XDCAM host (the camera via usb, the card that it was recorded on, etc.) all the files are on an external HDD via usb.
I've even tried Sony's XDCAM Transfer software that came with the EX cameras, but the same problem occurs."

When you work with tapeless media of any kind, you must archive the original media in it's original directory structure for exactly this reason. To not do so is the equivalent of burning your master tapes or your original camera negative.

FCP needs these file structures to make sense of the media for Log & Transfer. other programs need it for the same reason. If you don't save these directories for future use you are playing with fire.

Take Raphael's advice and try the Calibrated software.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Brent Pierce
on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:20:38 am

I have archived the BPAV folder with everything still inside of it. XML's and everything. Still doesn't read them.
I give up with this project. Looks like I'll have to keep taking lip from Premiere Pro until the job is done.
Thanks for all your help though, guys.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2010 at 1:32:25 pm

The question is not the BPAV, but how to re-wrap the MP4 as QT.
With the SONY stuff you use the Clip Browser and the Transfer Tool, but I don't know about JVC.
Although the two cameras record the same codec, the files system is different.
The SONY record these MP4 that you re-wrap as QT or .MFX.
With the JVC you choose before shooting, QT or MP4.
Try to use the SONY applications to access the BPAV or rebuild a new one.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 1, 2010 at 8:54:50 pm

I have no problems on editing .mp4 XDCAM EX at all on Premiere Pro CS4 (Mac) and haven't for some time. You might check out either the Creative Cow Premiere Pro forum or the Adobe Premiere Pro forum (where I hang out) if you want.

This is one of the differences between Apple and Adobe - the decision to rewrap vs. native. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Adobe believes that native is the way to go. Obviously, it's a debate that will rage on for some time. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]