FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing problems with Canon HDV HV20E

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Liew
Capturing problems with Canon HDV HV20E
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:03:37 am

Hi!

I'm using Canon HDV HV20E camera and I've been trying to capture my footage on FCP 5. I shot using the HDV settings using I.AF.

The problem is that FCP5 does not recognize my camera even when i select the proper capture presets. It reads; "Unable to initialize video deck. you may still log offline clips of click capture now" which of course doesn;t work when i click capture now. Also it says that there is no preview available. I've tried almost everything available in the presents.

Perhaps I've been doing it wrong the whole time, therefore I would ask if anyone knows exactly what presets should I use to log and capture my footage?

Interestingly enough when i use iMovie it seems to be able to capture the footage. However I have a feeling there is loss of quality and I want to edit using FCP5.

Your help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Capturing problems with Canon HDV HV20E
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:45:44 am

FCP 5.1 did capture HDV but there were only a few models of HDV camera in those early days and many reported problems with Canon cameras in particular.

It may be that the newer Canons aren't recognised by old software.
FCP is now up to 7.0.1 so perhaps it is time to consider upgrading.

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:36:53 pm

Here's what works most of the time for me. With everything off, connect the cam to the computer. Turn on the camera and play the tape. Make sure you see HDV in the display--Not DV. Turn on the Mac and fire up FCP with the appropriate HDV Capture present and digitize. On my system if FCP detects DV on the firewire it won't ever recognize HDV unitl I either restart FCP or sometimes reboot.

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Brad Liew
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:26:22 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the idea.

Ok here's how i managed to get at:

FCP finally detects my camera on firewire, i can access playback features on my camera. I set it to DVDPRO HDV 1080i 50 and everything works right up to where i actually hit the capture button, i set my in and out markers and when i capture the footage it either refuses to capture OR captures but the footage is noted as "Media Offline"

Any ideas?

brad

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Jan 29, 2010 at 8:41:37 pm

Not sure where you're getting the DVCPRO HDV Setting. The camera is putting out HDV. If you want DVCPRO then it's 2 steps. Ingest the HDV. Convert the HDV to DVCPRO.

joe
editmojo.com

Return to posts index

Brad Liew
on Feb 1, 2010 at 3:57:39 am

Ok!

I managed to capture my footage but once the process is complete it just says that Media is Offline.

I'm baffled

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]