cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Who wants an iPad?
on Jan 29, 2010 at 12:58:23 am

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Who wants an iPad?
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:14:33 am

Is there anything this video CAN'T be used to make fun of?

and the editor needs to learn about drop shadow in text.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 29, 2010 at 1:51:04 am

[Shane Ross] "Is there anything this video CAN'T be used to make fun of?"

The answer to that is no. But, the version with Hitler as the agency advertising director critiquing the ad campaign was the funniest use I've seen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:38:39 am

Being from MN, I'd have to say one of the funniest uses was when Favre joined the Vikings.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:52:52 am

I wouldn't say I WANT the iPad, but that's because I'm saving up for some other things, like a Kona card.

However, I definitely see the potential in this. Personally, I've always wanted a little device that could simplify the organizational side of video production. The iPad along with iWork I think can do that. Sure, I suppose I could get a laptop, but then I'd be getting more than I need. Apple's laptops cost more, are bigger, and heavier. I also already have a Mac Pro, so I just don't need a whole other computer.

Also, watching videos on a iPod or iPhone...I always thought that was ridiculous. The screen is so tiny. How could that be enjoyable. At least this can display 720p. Not bad for the frequent traveller if you ask me.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:57:50 am

[Rob Grauert] "watching videos on a iPod or iPhone...I always thought that was ridiculous. The screen is so tiny. How could that be enjoyable."

Actually, with headphones on, watching a movie on an iPhone or IPod can be really cool. You never realize just how important the audio competent of a good movie really is until watch on a tiny screen, but with terrific sound.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:15:52 am

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:32:03 pm

I do. I would imagine it's going to make a kick butt front end to a KiPro someday.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:50:20 pm

I don't own a boat, so I don't really need a boat anchor.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:22:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I would imagine it's going to make a kick butt front end to a KiPro someday."

these are the kind of applications that will make or break the ipad, IMHO.

I would love an EOS utility for it.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 29, 2010 at 7:48:04 pm

Assuming that it's one of what are supposed to be the MANY iPhone applications which will run on iPad, there already is an application for operating Canon and Nikon stills cameras. See:
http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=38

The bad, and IMHO really stupid part about the app is that it requires that the tether goes to a computer and then the computer communicates with the iPhone.

Hopefully they'll figure out how to eliminate this middle step. And hopefully they'll have something which plugs into the camera a gives wireless capability between the camera and the iPhone / iPad.

Return to posts index

Bob O'Brien
on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:14:44 pm

That is simply gross.

Hi Steve.

CAMERAS
Sony EX3

PORTABLE EDITING
*MacBook Pro - 2.33Ghz - 2Gb RAM
*Matrox MXO / 23" Cinema Display

DESKTOP
*DualG5 2Ghz w/2.5Gb RAM
*UL4D SCSI Card
*HMV800 DualMax RAID0
*AJA IO
*Sony 2800

SOFTWARE
*OSX10.4.11, QT 7.5, FCP 6.0.4, Livetype 2.1.3, Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2, DVDSP4.2.1, Adobe CS3 Prod Suite

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:46:56 pm

Yeah, definitely funniest one I have seen. This was great! Also second Shane on the drop shadow subtitles.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:50:33 pm

If there was some way to mount this to the back of my camera and use it as an EVF, I'd pre-order 4 of them today. And if it could capture ProRes from the HD-SDI out to its internal SSD, I'd be on a plane to Cupertino right now with a suitcase full of cat-burglar equipment.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:41:40 pm

It's not 16x9 which is kind of a bummer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2010 at 5:42:26 pm

Either is any other iDevice.

Return to posts index

Kevin Thorne
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:53:52 pm

sigh...I hate to say this, being a staunch mac lover and owner of 6 macs I use for my work and play....but I don't see any point in this.

It's too big to chuck into your pocket like my itouch. It doesn't even have a camera for video chatting.

I'm going to sulk until they release a 64gb itouch with camera/video.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:04:54 pm

[Kevin Thorne] "but I don't see any point in this."

Ye of little faith.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 29, 2010 at 7:01:56 pm

I am currently sitting in a cafe having a tea and reading this thread on my little iPhone screen, thinking how much nicer it would be on an ipad.
This is something I do everyday. I don't need a fullblown laptop for that, and a windows netbook does not appeal to me. I think that's the point of this thing. Everything Apple makes does not have to cater to the pro video realm to be successful... It's actually a rather small segment of it's user base. If you re read the press following the release of the original iPod nobody knew it what the point was either. Certainly few thought it would be revolutionary.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:00:14 pm

like all of Apples newer products, it doesn't do everything that you want it to do but what it does do, it does better than thing else on the market. While I have no plans for getting one right away this is a game changer just like the iPhone was. (Remember all the things it didn't do and still can't do). This will bring in eBooks and eNewspaper with a vengeance. It will be used to control a ton of things.

Like everything else, if it fits your needs get it, if it doesn't don't get it but it is foolish to think it is a failure just because isn't something YOU need.

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04:40 pm

Hate the name, love the device. I'm buying one for sure. The only decision is whether to get 3G or not.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:12:37 am

The lack of Flash support bums me out especially since web browsing is supposed to be a key feature of the device.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:06:53 pm

I think the possiblilities in terms of apps for our use are endless. Think of this as a $500 Cintiq or Lemur and drool...

Here's what I want (and frankly if someone else doesn't do it pronto, I'm gonna round me up some overseas coders and do it myself - so save me the bother): A FCS app - that has controls for each app.

Here's a few examples:

- Faders in the audio mixer in FCP with multitouch control. Gang/group to your hearts content.
- Virtual trackballs in Color - imagine them zooming in and out as required.
- Hotkeys as required - for switching, key combos, etc.
- Scrubbing/Scrolling etc. I'm fairly sure a circular setup would be a bit painful to use, so I'd think
instead about a linear approach, to save me waving my mouse up and down the desk.

Millions of editors using tablets instead of mice will see the potential - we just needed an accurate, affordable piece of hardware to make it work - and the iPad is said to be a very accurate touch experience.

I know of several companies using VNC software on set to send video assist to ipods and iphones for remote monitoring. I'd imagine the iPad will be snapped up for this - and could translate to facilities - Imagine being able to see what was going on in all the suite in a big edit facility.

It's clear that Apple's secrecy over the launch of this meant that developers could not really explore the full capabilites of a device with a much larger screen than the iphone. The diversity of trackpad type apps already available for this iphone, leads me to believe the above is possible, even if it's a bit of a cludge for third parties to achieve some/all of it.

I suspect that we will have to wait for Apple to bring out their own solutions for pro apps - iWork at least shows they are willing to do this. I won't hold my breath, but will cross my fingers and hope hope hope.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:52:56 pm

Ben, count me in as an investor. That sounds like a fantastic application of this tech. It could be an outstanding control surface for all sorts of apps, actually; not just FCS. Brilliant!

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Dustin Lau
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:16:45 am

Hi Jeff,

I posted this somewhere else on the forum, but fader adjustment via Mackie Control is already implemented.
There are the few apps that do this, primarily for audio workstations but they all use the Mackie Control interface and the same DSMidiWifi Server on google code.

http://www.handheldhollywood.com/
Lots of useful production related iPhone apps here,
most notably Artemis Director's Viewfinder, Helios, Screenwriter and Hitchcock (can't remember what it's been renamed to.)

http://www.luminoir.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 1, 2010 at 4:40:58 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Who wants an iPad?"

I think I'll wait until they come out with the iPad Nano. It'll probably be greatly improved and a lot more useful.

Oh, wait, that would make it an iPhone, wouldn't it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]