FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Caption?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James McCormick
Closed Caption?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:24:25 pm

I HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH CLOSED CAPTIONS IN FINAL CUT PRO BEFORE SO I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT

I HAVE A CLIENT COMING IN THAT WANTS TO OUTPUT FROM FINAL CUT PRO 7 TO A DIGIBETA WITH CLOSED CAPTIONS THROUGH A BLACK MAGIC CARD. HE HAS THE VIDEO COMPLETED WITH CLOSED CAPTIONS SO I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PUTTING THEM IN.

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE IN OUTPUTTING WITH/WITHOUT CLOSED CAPTIONS?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT, EVEN A LINK TO WHERE I CAN LEARN ABOUT FCP AND CLOSED CAPTIONS.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Closed Caption?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:06:38 pm

Please refrain from using all caps. That is just basic internet protocol.

I'm not sure if the Decklink cards can do this. I know that the AJA cards with the latest firmware updates can, and that they Matrox MXO2 and MXO2 LE can do this. But you need specific caption software (macCaption) to be able to interface with the hardware to get it output to the proper location.

But I haven't done this myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I just know that you need specific capture cards and firmware that supports this operation, and I don't think Decklink does this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James McCormick
on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:41:21 pm

SORRY, DIDN'T MEAN TO BREAK "BASIC INTERNET PROTOCOL"

BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP ANYWAY.

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:19:29 pm

IF THE CLIENT BRINGS A VIDEO FILE WITH THE CC ALREADY ON ITS LINES UP TOP, YOU'LL ONLY NEED TO EDIT TO DIGIBETA AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD AND THE CAPTIONS WILL FOLLOW. IF HE'S BRINGING IN A BLACK MOVIE, JUST CROP EVERYTHING BUT THE TOP LINES OFF IT AND SUPERIMPOSE ON THE VIDEO BEFORE OUTPUTTING. IF HE BRINGS IN .CCA FILES OR THE LIKE, YOU'LL NEED EXTERNAL SOFTWARE.

FOR MORE SPECIFIC HELP, HEAD ON OVER TO THE CLOSED CAPTIONING FORUM.

AND WHEN SOMEONE GIVES YOU ETIQUETTE ADVICE
, why not heed it.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

James McCormick
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:58:52 pm

Thanks man,

I figured it should be strait forward if the client already created a quicktime file from the FCP project. He is coming in tomorrow so I'll give it a shot.

just don't like being called out for something that insignificant. I was a sentence in when I realized I left the caps lock on, and decided not to start over. Didn't think it was that big a deal.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:45:51 pm

[James McCormick] "just don't like being called out for something that insignificant. I was a sentence in when I realized I left the caps lock on, and decided not to start over. Didn't think it was that big a deal."

Well, it comes across as shouting. But the fact that you did it a second time... That meant that you knew what you were doing.

A little politeness goes a long way. It was just a friendly reminder. If you just said "oops, sorry, caps lock was on," all would have been forgotten. And it is now...so, moving on.

Glad that JC answered that. I need more experience with embedded CC files.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:52:37 pm

this works fine on my black-magic multibridge extreme.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:15:30 am

Typically the embedded CC file is generated as a "black movie file" laid on top of the FCP sequence ie on the top most video layer. depending on the output formatting millions+ animation no cropping self keying, or millions which requires cropping the overlay (crop bottom = 98) the file is also capture card specific depending on cell and row and how it is displayed.
read this
http://www.cpcweb.com/demo/MacCaption_demo_Instructions.pdf

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]