FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grainy footage after zooming in frame to get closer shot.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddi Goodfellow
Grainy footage after zooming in frame to get closer shot.
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:39:11 am

When I zoom in on a clip to give it a better frame, the footage becomes grainy, is there a way to make to as sharp as it originally was before zooming. i am not zooming in very far. Would love to know best practice before I play with it myself.

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
Re: Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:24:53 am

Hi Eddi,

What you're seeing is the camera increase the gain because lens doesn't let in as much light when you're zoomed in as it does when its wide. The only way to get cleaner footage at longer focal lengths is to make sure the subject is lit well enough so that the camera doesn't have to use gain to get a proper exposure. The only other factor may be that your camera has a digital zoom function, which uses a smaller area of the sensor to increase the focal length. This can create artifacts.

Wedding Films
YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

Eddi Goodfellow
Re: Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42:20 am

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to make a some badly shot footage that was given to me to edit - look better. Was just hoping I could do something more in post. Oh well, there's only so much you can do with some footage.

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
Re: Grainy footage after zooming in frame to get closer shot.
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:22:36 am

I'm guessing you're referring to the loss of quality when magnifying a clip in a sequence?

While the gurus around here may have some tips on how to get better results, there's no way to enlarge the image and yet maintain the same image quality - the detail just isn't there. High Def and progressive footage will be more forgiving, standard def and interlaced footage is less.

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Grainy footage after zooming in frame to get closer shot.
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:46:49 am

No much to do in FC, apart of setting "Render Motion Effects: BEST".
If you are working with DV footage, rendering in Prores and "High Precision" should help too.
Motion should do better and for sure After Effects do it.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]