FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7/Network Users - Corrupt Waveform Cache/Permissions Errors...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel McLeod
FCP7/Network Users - Corrupt Waveform Cache/Permissions Errors...
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:14:37 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm sure theres a simple way to solve this, And I originally thought I could solve it by giving everyone write access to the Waveform/Thumbnail/Autosave Vault folders... But what happens is we have about 7 different network user accounts, which are part of one network master group, which has full read and write access to the XSAN for Scratch, Audio Files, etc.

But, we use the local mac HDD for Final Cut Documents as said above and when a user switches to a different account the result generally is that Final Cut Pro will not start until I delete the folder, or reassign it within Final Cut to the same folder it was prior assigned to.

Is there any way around this to prevent this from happening?

Maybe assigning seperate folders for each network user, as a subfolder of FCP Documents?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7/Network Users - Corrupt Waveform Cache/Permissions Errors...
on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:43:14 pm

Um, could you describe your system a little bit? Then we could make intelligent recommendations, or do you prefer shots in the dark?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:29:37 am

I can think of a couple things to try off the top of my head. I dealt with these issues on one project that was using FCP 4.1.1, so please bear in mind that things may have changed since then and YMMV!

For local storage, we set everything to /Users/Shared/ since this directory is on every machine and is user agnostic. I believe you still need to make sure all sub directories and files are given full read/write permissions.

You could take things one step further and create sub-dirs within '/Users/Shared/' for each user on every machine (making sure they match exactly). This is so you can be absolutely sure of having no conflicts with thumbnail/cache/whatever files that happen to have the same name (this was an issue we had from time to time).

You may also want to look into changing the UMASK setting for each user, which controls what the owner/group and read/write permissions are by default for every new file created. We opened these up so that every user's newly created files would have full access permissions for anyone in our edit group. Of course, it is essential to train every user to have good habits and not overwrite other people's work.

I've also read about people using third party preference managing tools, but I've never dabbled with those myself. But it may be worth looking into.

But every production team is different and everyone's requirements are unique. It took months for us to iron out all the kinks, so be prepared for some growing pains and make sure everyone is very diligent about backing up their work. It also helps to have a few people around who are comfortable cracking open the terminal and can safely use the "chown" and "chmod" tools.

Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:01:57 am

Have a look at preference manager from Digital rebellion. It can help to automate some of this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]