FORUMS: list search recent posts

IMX 30mbit for FCP from Avid

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauri Laidna
IMX 30mbit for FCP from Avid
on Jan 26, 2010 at 11:27:10 am

Hi,

I was asked to make IMX 30mbit encoded files for FCP. We work in Avid Media Composer and need to transfer some clips to guys working with FCP in IMX 30mbit. What's the best workflow to get clips from one to another? I understand that Avid and FCP use different types of IMX files. Can someone help and tell if it is possible to make IMX 30mbit file for FCP with Avid or some other program on PC?

I could use AE or get some 3rd party program to make the conversion if I knew exactly what is needed.

BR,
Lauri

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: IMX 30mbit for FCP from Avid
on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:03:00 pm

You wouldn't be able to get it to FCP in any IMX format, unless you provide the original tapes. When you capture in an Avid, it captures as MXF or OMFI files. FCP will not be able to read those files. You would have to export them as QT files and then the FCP system will need to download the Avid QT codecs.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:38:01 pm

Export Quicktime 1:1x. Have them install the Avid codecs on their machine. Do not export Quicktime "same as source" as the freely downloadable Avid codec does not include the IMX codec due to licensing issues...they will still not be able to read it.
If this is a lot of footage, the should convert your Avid 1:1x files to Apple Pro Res (or whatever codec they are editing with), otherwise they will have to render to play it in the FCP timeline. If it's only a few shots, it's not a big deal, but if it's a lot, that can be cumbersome. Unfortunately, you cannot export from Avid in ProRes, as Apple has kept that proprietary.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jan 27, 2010 at 8:17:54 am

MXF4Mac's MXF Import would allow you to export/take your native AVID IMX files / exports and work with them directly in FCP.

Alternatively you can try exporting native IMX using AVID's XDCAM Exporter function and then bring the resultant MXF's back in into FCP using Sony's free XDCAM Transfer tool.

Return to posts index

Lauri Laidna
on Jan 27, 2010 at 1:43:17 pm

Ok. Thank you guys. I will try out the AVID XDCAM Export function and see if it works.

Just wanted to clafify that I work in Avid in 1:1 or 2:1 SD Resolutions not IMX. The Studio I have to send clips work with FCP and they have ALL their media in FCP IMX 30mbit.

So I was thinking to find a way to give them IMX 30mbit that they can import easily. I'd like to make those IMX 30mbit files that FCB would recognize myself.

Giving them QT files AVID Meridien codec works nicely but they have to convert to IMX 30mbit as that is what they are having all their media in (don't ask me why).

Trying out the Avid XDCAM Export might be a solution. Will give it a try and ask if FCP guys are happy with it.

The clips are 60sec or less but I'd like to make the workflow optimized and easy for our partner whom we deliver the clips. Sadly I have almost no experience with MACs and FCP ;)

Thank you once again and if someone has more ideas, keep them coming.

I'd really appriciate some technical overview of the FCP IMX codec? What's it all about and how to encode those files on PC...

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:34:29 pm

[Lauri Laidna] "Giving them QT files AVID Meridien codec works nicely but they have to convert to IMX 30mbit as that is what they are having all their media in (don't ask me why).
"

All Avids can mix resolutions in their sequences without rendering or anything. Why do they need everything in one format? We mix IMX and 1:1 all the time.

Return to posts index

Lauri Laidna
on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:25:53 pm

Avid can mix anything if the framerate is the same. The house with FCP is doing everything IMX 30mbit. I'd like to output stuff from Avid to IMX 30mbit that they can import without rendering to FCP (in IMX 30mbit)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]