FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to understand settings and find media please help

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
Trying to understand settings and find media please help
on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:13:37 pm

My system scratch disks are set to my 2nd drive into the Final Cut Pro documents folder as you'd expect.

However in the capture scratch folder inside FCP Documents I can only see the folders for 4 old projects.

Media files for my current projects all exist in other folders i.e auto save and render files, but not in capture scratch.

Is this because I've changed settings, is it because the 'capture audio and video to separate files' box is unchecked?

many thanks

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to understand settings and find media please help
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:15:31 pm

Go into the SYSTEM SETTINGS. Where does it show your CAPTURE SCRATCH as being? That is where your media will be.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:33:46 pm

In addition to what Shane said, the location of your scratch drive is stored in preferences. So, if you trash prefs, then reset the scratch disk location in System Settings immediately thereafter, that will insure that a directory for your open project is written in the proper location.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:53:50 pm

When I go to system settings, it says that my scratch is on the 2nd drive in Final Cut Documents and as I said when I go into that and look in the capture scratch folder, there aren't any folders for the projects I'm working on at the mo, but those files are there in the render folders etc.

Is this another MAC glitch?

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:08:59 pm

ANOTHER Mac glitch? There are others? No, this is most likey user misunderstanding. And you said you captured footage? WHy not do a FIND for the project name...or a name of a clip you captured.

Shane

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:19:05 pm

OK, I'll try that, when you say do a find though, do you mean from within FCP or via finder?

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:21:08 pm

I meant the finder, but hey, if you have the clip in the BROWSER, the EASY thing to do would be to right-click on it and choose REVEAL IN FINDER. Now you can see exactly where you are capturing to.

Shane

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:23:56 pm

cool, I'll try that, thanks again.

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:25:38 pm

OK here's the thing and excuse me if I'm being a bit slow but I'm sure something's wrong.

When I right click on a clip in my current project (A) and reveal in finder, all it does is show me where the original media is in my import folder on my 2nd drive; this is where I store all ingested media for all projects.

Add to this that when I click up the system settings it tells me that the media should be going to the FCP documents folder is on my 2nd drive and that my capture folder (along with the others) is in there.

When I right click on a clip in an old project (B) it correctly shows the media sitting in my capture folder in my FCP documents folder on my 2nd drive.

I can't understand how the settings seem to be the same for both projects, yet Project B folder is in the capture scratch folder and Project A isn't and as I've mentioned before the render files and waveform cache and autosave files for Project A, are where they should be, on the 2nd drive in FCP documents.

I hope I've been clear enough, can someone please help me find these media files?

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:29:06 pm

[Roli Rivelino] "When I right click on a clip in my current project (A) and reveal in finder, all it does is show me where the original media is in my import folder on my 2nd drive; this is where I store all ingested media for all projects."

OK...then that is where your footage is stored. Wasn't that your question? Now you look at the folder structure and see where it is located. THAT is your capture scratch location, is it not?

[Roli Rivelino] "Add to this that when I click up the system settings it tells me that the media should be going to the FCP documents folder is on my 2nd drive and that my capture folder (along with the others) is in there"

OK...then it IS where you told it to go. Didn't you ask "hey, where is my CAPTURE SCRATCH, shouldn't I look where it is an see my individual project folders?" Now that you see where the media is, isn't THIS what you are looking for? Doesn't the CAPTURE SCRATCH contain the folders for the various projects?

I am now REALLY confused as to what you are trying to do. You are saying "I set up my capture scratch, but I don't see the folders or media in there." Now when you revealed in Finder, you say "oh, yeah, there is my media, in the folders for the various project folder inside the capture scratch folder on the 2nd drive, that FCP is told where to make it."

[Roli Rivelino] "I can't understand how the settings seem to be the same for both projects, yet Project B folder is in the capture scratch folder and Project A isn't"

The settings doesn't change from project to project. It will always be where you tell it to be, until you tell it differently. Project A probably isn't in there because you had it set to SOMEWHERE ELSE before you started project B. The existing media doesn't move when you change capture scratch locations...all the NEW captured footage will now go to the new location. The old footage stays until you either MEDIA MANAGE it, or move it on the finder level.

[Roli Rivelino] "I hope I've been clear enough, can someone please help me find these media files? "

You haven't been...and I DID HELP YOU find the media files. You JUST said "when I click Reveal in Finder it shows me all the media on the second drive" for both projects. You say you can't find the media, but then you say "yeah, it is where I put it." Can you see why you aren't being clear? It's like saying "hey, where's my car?" and we point out that it is sitting in the driveway. Then you say, "Yeah, I see that...but where is it? I can't find it."

Shane

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:05:52 am

I'm sorry Shane, I am being unclear and I'll try to clear it up now. It's not that I can't find the media for project A, I know where it is, but I'm just wondering why the clips don't show up in the capture scratch folder, even though that's where they're set up to be.

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter, but I'm just wondering why these new projects I'm starting don't go to their own folders in the capture scratch within FCP documents.

Shane: Doesn't the CAPTURE SCRATCH contain the folders for the various projects?

The answer is yes for projects older than about a month, no for new projects I'm starting, even though the settings tell me that there should be.

Shane: Project A probably isn't in there because you had it set to SOMEWHERE ELSE before you started project B.

No (sorry for my silly use of A & B as B is the older project and not the other way round) the settings haven't been changed between Project B & A, this is what's confusing me, if there's a B folder there should be an A folder as well.

So in conclusion an old project; Project B has the original ingested media in my import folder and the FCP media is in the Project B folder in my capture scratch, just the way it should be (thus when I do a reveal in finder search, I'm shown the files in the capture scratch folder and not the original files in the import folder).

However with the new Project A the original ingested media is in my import folder BUT the FCP media is not in a Project A folder in the capture scratch.

This does not seem to hamper me working and the media is obviously being created somewhere, however it doesn't seem right so I just want to understand what's going on.

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:29:17 am

OK...

The location that you set as the Capture Scratch...in that location, do you see a CAPTURE SCRATCH, RENDER, AUDIO RENDER as well as a FINAL CUT PRO DOCUMENTS? Because when I set my capture scratch to a hard drive or folder, those are the files that show up. I don't get a FINAL CUT PRO DOCUMENTS folder, then the list of subfolders. Only if I choose my DOCUMENTS folder as the location.

[Roli Rivelino] "Project B has the original ingested media in my import folder and the FCP media is in the Project B folder in my capture scratch"

Gotcha...

[Roli Rivelino] "the new Project A the original ingested media is in my import folder"

Where is this IMPORT folder? In FCP in the Browser?

[Roli Rivelino] "BUT the FCP media is not in a Project A folder in the capture scratch. "

Where is it? When you REVEAL IN FINDER, where does it show the media as being located? What is the file path?

Shane

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 27, 2010 at 9:29:33 am

Cool, we're getting there now :-).

Shane: The location that you set as the Capture Scratch...in that location, do you see a CAPTURE SCRATCH, RENDER, AUDIO RENDER as well as a FINAL CUT PRO DOCUMENTS?

Yes I do

Shane: I don't get a FINAL CUT PRO DOCUMENTS folder, then the list of subfolders. Only if I choose my DOCUMENTS folder as the location.

I do see them like this, I think originally I made the FCP Documents folder myself or as you suggested used my Documents folder as the location.

Shane: Where is this IMPORT folder? In FCP in the Browser?

The folder is on my 2nd drive; which incidentally I've named FCP scratch, but let's keep calling it 2nd drive to avoid confusion! (could that naming be confusing Final Cut?)

Shane: Where is it? (Project A) When you REVEAL IN FINDER, where does it show the media as being located? What is the file path?

The file path is 2nd drive > Import folder > Project A folder > Clip 1A

and even if I make a subclip of Clip 1A then the file path is still the same.

If I do a reveal for Project B it shows a file path that makes sense

2nd drive > Final Cut Documents > Capture Scratch > Project B Folder > Clip 1B

Weird huh? And to make things even weirder (to me anyway) there IS a Project A folder (along with Project B and all my other projects) in the Render Files folder and the Autosave Vault and Audio Render Files.

Thanks for your patience and time with this.

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index