FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pal to NTSC within FInal Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Kearns
Pal to NTSC within FInal Cut
on Jan 23, 2010 at 10:02:45 pm

Hey guys,

This is a very simple question, and I'm sure I already know the answer but I've forgotten it.

Myself and a friend made a film on Pal HDV, which has been bought by an American DVD company. I have a master Pal .mov file (over 500GB), but need to get the materials out to them in NTSC format. We've spent the last two weeks experimenting on Final Cut 6 with different conversion methods (Compressor, Nattress etc).

Earlier today I copied a clip of the film from a 10bit uncompressed 25 frames (ie pal) sequence and placed it in an 8bit uncompressed NTSC 29.97 sequence. I'd always assumed that given the amount of debate on the net about the best way to convert Pal to NTSC (using Compressor, Nattress etc) something as simple as pasting into an NTSC sequence and rendering would never work. However, when I rendered and exported the clip as a .mov, it seemed to be of very good quality. Surely this doesn't constitute a full conversion to NTSC?

I'm 99% certain that I'm missing some basic fact staring me in the face, I'd just like to be told what that fact is!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Pal to NTSC within FInal Cut
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:56:01 am

Make sure you are judging this on a broadcast monitor. (or at least a tv). Your computer screen image will not show the flaws in conversion.

If all looks good enough to you, then go with it. If there is not a lot of movement or camera motion it might look fine. That's where you will have the most problems, as FCP merely duplicates frames and does not do any serious interpolation. It's not impossible to get decent results doing what you tried, but you kinda need a bit if luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]