FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio limiting for mastering.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Jägberg
Audio limiting for mastering.
on Jan 23, 2010 at 4:41:04 pm

Hi Guys!
I'm a pretty experienced editor, both on Avid and on FCP.
One thing I never got the hang of though is audio mastering. Is there any way to add some sort of "Brick wall" limiter to the master output channel in FCP? I usually adjust levels manually so I have a balanced mix, then I export it to ProTools or Soundtrack and add a limiter there, then import it back into FCP and do my mastering. Is there anyway to do it all inside FCP and still be sure I have the audio at safe levels?

How do you all do it?

Thanks!

Erik Jägberg
Editor

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Audio limiting for mastering.
on Jan 24, 2010 at 12:14:59 pm

Hi,

I find that sending my OMF files to a professional Sound Engineer saves me time and headaches, and probably money as well in the end. I get a professionaly mixed audio master that is within broadcast specs. If I or the client have specific wishes we sit in the audio room and enjoy directing the session.

IMHO ther's nothing like collaborative work to achieve the best quality.

hope this helps,

Patrice

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:11:14 pm

[Patrice Freymond] "I find that sending my OMF files to a professional Sound Engineer saves me time and headaches, and probably money as well in the end."

Patrice, while you are right, that's really not the answer to Erik's question. The fact is, most FCP users want to finish everything "in house," and in fact, FCP does have the necessary tools to do a very capable job for most.

Are the audio tools in FCP the very best available? No, absolutely not.

Do they need to be for the vast majority of video projects? No, absolutely not.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:17:25 pm

[Erik Jägberg] "Is there any way to add some sort of "Brick wall" limiter to the master output channel in FCP? "

The answer is yes! All of the tools you need are are there in the FCP and STP audio filters, it's just a matter of taking the time to look in the manual for the explanations of each audio filter, then testing them to determine which is right for your need, and then further testing to perfect the settings.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]