FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Videos and audio sample rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Mavros
Music Videos and audio sample rates
on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:57:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I am editing a music video and want to double check about how to handle the audio. I am getting an AIFF from the CD. Since music CDs are inherently 44.1khz and broadcast is 48khz, should I first convert the audio file to 48khz before working with it? I usually convert any audio that comes to me in odd formats to AIFFs at 48khz for commercials and such, but with a music video (where the audio is a little more important) I just want to make sure I should do this.

Thanks,
Eli

Eli Mavros

Return to posts index

Eli Mavros
Re: Music Videos and audio sample rates
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:03:45 pm

IMPORTANT: There is NO sync sound on this project, so I don't have to worry about lip sync.

Eli Mavros

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:09:16 pm

I don't make music videos, but I deal with music CDs all the time. I ALWAYS convert 44.1 to 48 for use in FCP. It's not a big deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eli Mavros
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:11:35 pm

Thanks Dave,

I figured as much. I always do too...I just wanted to double check. Don't want my edit points to not hit their audio marks down the line if I have to use 44.1 (don't even know if that would actually happen...ha)

Eli Mavros

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 23, 2010 at 9:46:26 pm

Digital Heaven has a program for FCP called Loader. You drag audio, video or graphics to a window that opens for each running project and Loader puts the assets in the correct folder in your project. And for audio, if it's mp3s, aac, caf, 44.1kHz, whatever, it automatically converts to aiff 48kHz. Very neat if you do a lot of that. BTW I have no association with DH. I just like a lot of their products.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:36:41 am

I agree with all what's said above. I use Loader as well, but on systemes that don't have it I am used to do a sample rate convertion using QT (export), and THEN to import the converted files into FCP.

At least that's what I could do until I installed FCS 3 and QT X.Now I can't figure how to do it this way as there is no export command in QT X (though there is a window one can open to check "export progress"). I may have missed something... or are we to do all conversions into fcp now?

Patrice

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 18, 2010 at 1:41:34 pm

MPEG Streamclip, which is a free download, will do that conversion and much more.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]