FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tapeless workflow Online to Offline to Air

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Carr
Tapeless workflow Online to Offline to Air
on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:03:24 am

I've been searching the forums for a while now to try to do some research. I'm an experienced editor and dabble in the conform/onlining world. Always worked with film and tape. It seems lately the more jobs that come thru are now shot on tapeless cameras, XDCAM, P2 etc... Everything from shoot thru offline edit goes smoothly now, people are handling the media management well now. The area where it all seems to fall apart is from offline to online.

For instance. I've worked on a job that was shot on XDCAM EX. Next step was to export an edl and send the shots to DI then to Online. Obviously the DI and Online vendors don't want Gigs of footage just too pull out the shot second long edits. I know Flame now supports XDCAM EX, but only big endian and for some reason fcp will only output little endian, that's another thread altogether.

Main question short and simple, does anyone know or have a direction to point me for en efficient way to take my edit, kick out an edl, and supply each vendor with only the necessary media and edls that they need to do their job?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Tapeless workflow Online to Offline to Air
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:17:04 am

Online on what? Tapeless offers either a workflow that is online all the way from start to finish (never working with an offline codec), or the ability to log and capture in a low res codec and then Media Manage and reimport just the footage in the cut at full res (all within FCP)...or the ability to import at full res, media manage to a lower resolution, then reconnect to the full resolution, and then media manage the cut just like the fully online workflow. The entirety of all of these workflows occur within FCP.

What it sounds like you want is to apply a tape based workflow to this new medium, and send it to something like a FLAME or DaVinci. Is that the case? I do know that both systems can read data files, so using the media manager to create the smaller clips and getting it to those systems should work.

But that is where my knowledge stops. I am more used to the tapeless workflows that stay within FCP or Avid. You could explore doing this all within FCP/Color. Color is a very powerful color correction application, on par with DaVinci.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Charlie Carr
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:21:08 pm

I agree that tapeless lends itself to be online rather than offline. However the tried and true workflow of tape or film is what Ad Agencies are still following. They all want to edit then go to a DaVinci then finish in a Flame. It's very true Color is great, but the editor sitting behind the color is not on par with the person sitting behind the davinci, if they were they wouldn't be sitting in front of final cut. I'd say it's very hard however to find one person that can do them all as well as individuals at each vendor. It's a great opportunity for an editor to do all of it on lower budget jobs that could stay all within final cut or one system. But the truth is the only thing that might be changing in a commercial production is losing the film and shooting on disk.

I guess i haven't tried the media manager tool, would be the solution, and the edl you deliver should be from the new sequence the media manager tool creates. If you don't i guess the media manager tags a number to the same clip if it shows up numerous times with a chronological number. which then confuses flames and whatnot. so i guess most of this is answered.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:41:02 pm

If the edit is locked, it seems to me that you could alternate the shots on A & B rolls (including handles), media manage it to a new project, then take the results to Mr. or Ms. DaVinci.

Wow, now THAT'S cumbersome! But familiar to an agency person.

Yes, it would be more work for you to get to the final product, but how much more videotape/film can you get than working with A and B rolls?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:23:02 am

[Charlie Carr] "Color is great, but the editor sitting behind the color is not on par with the person sitting behind the davinci, if they were they wouldn't be sitting in front of final cut."

Mr Carr.

There's plenty of people using "Color" to do high level grading on long form projects. The creativity and skill evidenced on those projects would put your average Cheetos spot to shame. To make such a sweeping generalization about the skill level of someone using Color is just myopic and uninformed.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:33:23 am

[Charlie Carr] "but the editor sitting behind the color is not on par with the person sitting behind the davinci, if they were they wouldn't be sitting in front of final cut."

There are people who ONLY use Color...they don't use FINAL CUT. They used COLOR when it was FINAL TOUCH, and they used that application instead of a DaVinci or Flame. Don't let the fact that Color is now part of the FCS package lead you to assume that it is ONLY used by final cut editors.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:54:45 am

[Charlie Carr] "It's very true Color is great, but the editor sitting behind the color is not on par with the person sitting behind the davinci"

And, to add to what the two previous posters said, there are actually many former DaVinci colorists who have moved away from DaVinci and now work exclusively in Color. It's not because Color is more powerful, but because the Color workflow offers so many advantages to FCP users, who now represent a user base so large that it would be foolish for many DaVinci operators not to use Color.

So, the operator sitting behind Color might very well be on par with the person behind DaVinci, because they one in same.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Megumi Nishikura
on Feb 7, 2010 at 12:23:14 am

Hi Shane- I'm intersted in learning more about what you wrote here:
"Tapeless offers either a workflow that is online all the way from start to finish (never working with an offline codec), or the ability to log and capture in a low res codec and then Media Manage and reimport just the footage in the cut at full res (all within FCP)...or the ability to import at full res, media manage to a lower resolution, then reconnect to the full resolution, and then media manage the cut just like the fully online workflow. The entirety of all of these workflows occur within FCP."

Can you direct me to some sites where I can learn more about how to do this?
I am about to start a new project with AVCHD footage on Final Cut 6.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]