FORUMS: list search recent posts

is this a good deal

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billy muhammed
is this a good deal
on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:05:37 pm

i have an opportunity to purchase this system for 650 dollars... iwant it for final cut editing and wanna upgrade to final cut 6....would you pay for it? please help

*Macintosh G5 PowerMac 2.0Ghz 

*DUAL LACIE HI RES MONITORS 

*DVI OUT 

*4 PORT FIREWIRE PCI CARD 

*FINAL CUT KEYBOARD, LOGITECH MOUSE 

*GUARANTIED NOT DOA!!!! 

*DV-HDV-HD 

*DUAL 2.0 GHZ 

*POWER PC G5 

*1.5 GIGs DDR SDRAM 

*OSX 10.5 

*160 gig internal drive 

LOADED AND READY TO EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

CAPTURE FOOTAGE INTO FIREWIRE 400, AD SPECIAL EFFECTS IN MOTION, PUT SOME SWEET ANIMATED TITLES FROM LIVETYPE, SWEETEN SOUND IN SOUNDTRACK, EDIT IN FINAL CUT, BURN DVD IN DVD STUDIO PRO. SIT BACK AND COUNT YOU PROFITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 

*FINAL CUT 5.1.4 HD 

*MOTION 2.1.2 

*LIVETYPE 2.1 

*DVD STUDIO PRO 4 

*CINEMA TOOLS 3.1.2 

*SOUNDTRACK PRO 1.2 

*COMPRESSOR 2.3 

*GARAGE BAND 1.1.0 (26) 

Item specifics - Apple Desktops 
Condition: Used Processor Type: PowerPC G5 
Product Family: PowerMac Processor Speed (per Core): 2 GHz 
Screen Size: None Processor Configuration: Dual Core 
Operating System: 10.4.1 Memory (RAM): 1.5 GB 
Primary Drive: DVD+/-R/RW Hard Drive Capacity: 160 GB 
Bundled Items: Final Cut Keyboard, Logitech Mouse, Dual Hi Res 21" Monitors

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: is this a good deal
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:25:49 pm

Don't do it. PowerPC is a dead architecture, and even a new Mac Mini will toast an old G5 dual 2GHz.

Return to posts index

billy muhammed
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:28:06 pm

i can only spend around 700... what do you suggest

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 21, 2010 at 9:36:18 pm

What kind of HD video do you need to edit? You may have to settle for a used Intel iMac with Final Cut Express, provided that Final Cut Express can edit the kind of HD that you need to work with.

A budget of $700 for both hardware and software is severely limiting your options. If I were you, I'd try to find some more money or wait until I could save enough to make a worthwhile purchase. Don't throw your money away on something that won't do what you need it to do.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 22, 2010 at 2:39:19 am

Here is another thing to check out. Is the seller giving you the original software disc and the serial number. This is important because you would be able to upgrade FCS when you go to a newer system. That will get some of your money back. You could learn the software (if you don't know it yet) make some money and get an Intel system as soon as you can. They only flavor of HD this system is going to handle is DVCProHD.

So go into this with open eyes. If the original disc and ser # are not included it is really not a good deal. They are just leaving software on the system and probably using it on their newer system.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:31:04 pm

This is an old system, so it really cannot be upgraded.

So if you are just wanting a system to start editing and you are working with DV, or DVCProHD footage it will be "okay" but since the new FCS(3) 2009 will not run on this computer it is a dead end.

So long term it is not much of a machine. If you have the money it would be wise to get an Intel Mac. If you are really cash poor and need to edit and your needs are the codecs above it will work. Encoding wil be really slow also.

Return to posts index

billy muhammed
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:36:23 pm

I would be working with hd video so would rendering be a killer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:55:50 pm

[billy muhammed] "I would be working with hd video so would rendering be a killer"

Rendering on a slow machine is a bit like watching water boil. So, the answer is, it's only slow if you watch it... Just defer you rendering until lunchtime, or do it over night.

However, like the others, I would suggest that your $700 investment is not a great investment, because spending money a non-Intel machine at this point is simply spending, it's not truly an investment.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]