FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flip HD .mp4 Final Cut Issue!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natasha Paulson
Flip HD .mp4 Final Cut Issue!!
on Jan 21, 2010 at 4:00:49 am

Hello!

I'm trying to edit a short film that we shot on a Flip HD camera. I believe the format for flips is 1280x720 and 30p. The video files are automatically in .mp4 format.

I imported the footage into Final Cut 5 and when I try to play it in the viewer I get "General Error" and then "Out of Memory." However, I tried exporting one clip to .mov and it plays just fine in the viewer. Also, the .mp4 footage will play in the timeline after it is rendered.

My project is set to HDV 1280x720 in the Easy Setup window.

Any tips on how to edit this footage? I'd like to avoid having to convert all the .mp4 files to .mov, as well as having to render every clip in the timeline before I edit.

Thanks!
Natasha

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Flip HD .mp4 Final Cut Issue!!
on Jan 21, 2010 at 5:35:19 am

You need to convert it to a format the FCP can edit. Not the answer you wanted to hear, but thats the way it goes.

Since you are on FCP 5, ProRes is not possible, so I would recommend DVCPro HD as format. Do not use a long GOP format like HDV. Use Compressor to do the conversion.

Return to posts index

Samuel Adams
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11:38 pm

[John Pale] "You need to convert it to a format the FCP can edit. Not the answer you wanted to hear, but thats the way it goes"

Hello

I too have some Flip Video HD mp4 to edit.

I understand compressor and have located the ProRes and DVCPro settings, however when I bring these new files onto the timeline it still asks me to render.

This, after the sequence settings requests to match the properties of the first file placed onto it.

Is there a golden codec that will be accepted by FCP with no renders required?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Flip HD .mp4 Final Cut Issue!! - ADDED LINK TO COMPRESSOR DROPLET
on Apr 30, 2011 at 12:31:12 am

[Samuel Adams] "Is there a golden codec that will be accepted by FCP with no renders required?"

Yes!!! You have transcode to ProRes 442 at 59.94 and make certain to also change the audio from 44.1kHz to 48kHz. You will see it works like a charm. Test it, then make a droplet with Compressor, and you'll be able to do entire batches while you're sleeping.

BTW, I really like your beer, but I didn't consider you to be a particularly great president.

Here's a link to a Compressor droplet I created that transcodes video to ProPres 422 at 59.4, with 48kHz audio:

1233_fliptoprores.app.zip

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2010 at 5:36:50 am

[Natasha Paulson] "My project is set to HDV 1280x720 in the Easy Setup window. "

HDV and MP4 are very different, and the HDV East Setup is not correct, it's made specifically for MPEG-based material shot with specific cameras that record to HDV codec.

In addition, MP4 is not an editing codec, and so you will have to transcode anything shot with your Flip Cam to an HD Quicktime editing codec, which in FCP 5 would mean DVCProHD or AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). You can use Quicktime Player and use Export, then go into the options and select either of the two codec above. Or download MPEG Streamclip, a free app all over the Web, and use it to transcode to either of those two. Then, use the Easy Setup that matches the one you choose and edit away.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ramsey Tripp
on Apr 5, 2010 at 10:23:52 pm

What about FCP 6.0.6

Ramsey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]