FORUMS: list search recent posts

sweetening interview audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nelson
sweetening interview audio
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:35:40 am

I'm looking for guidance on "sweetening" the audio from an interview. It's a woman's voice recorded from a few feet away. I'd like to bring up the level a bit and smooth out the peaks. I moved it to STP, tried +3dB gain and compressor with default settings. It's "okay" but sounds a little brittle.

Thanks for help,
Eric

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: sweetening interview audio
on Jan 21, 2010 at 12:55:23 am

Try Levelator for Mac, a free download. You might hear a professional post mixer diss it here and there, but then I'd be doing the same if somebody created a decent free software app that replaced me too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Eric Nelson
on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:55:08 am

Hi David, thanks for the tip. I will try levelator.

Reading about it reminds me of the Really Nice Compressor. Just press the Super Nice button and voilĂ .

Thanks
Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Nelson
on Jan 21, 2010 at 4:14:17 am

Hi David,

double thanks... tried Levelator and it sounds great. It did a nice job of pulling up the audio without also bringing up the background noise. Super!

Thanks!
Eric

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:12:20 pm

[Eric Nelson] "double thanks... tried Levelator and it sounds great. It did a nice job of pulling up the audio without also bringing up the background noise"

Yep, despite what some audio pros have said about it, it works pretty well for most users who have tried it. Glad it worked for you Erik.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:03:08 am

What microphone did you use?

If it was a Senn ME66 or similar ENG mike, you will get an almost excessively clear sound with some harshness.

A tape emulator plug-in (there are some free ones) can help with getting rid of the "grit" in a way you can't get with just EQ.

Return to posts index

Eric Nelson
on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:56:44 am

Hi BJ,

I had two mics... one was the PD-170's on-camera, the other was a dynamic mic placed closer to the subject but still a few feet away.

Thanks
Eric

Return to posts index

hamp lund
on Jan 21, 2010 at 1:00:24 pm

Smooth out the peaks with volume automation or som kind of software (have not tried Levelator). Traditional compression can make the sound even more harsh. Use an eq and try to identify what frequencies are causing the "brittleness" and try lowering them a bit. You mostly have to compromise in situations like these.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2010 at 8:13:51 pm

[hamp lund] "Traditional compression can make the sound even more harsh. Use an eq and try to identify what frequencies are causing the "brittleness" and try lowering them a bit. You mostly have to compromise in situations like these."

Give Levelator a try, it's a very easy and forgiving app, and the price is great too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:29:41 pm

Just downloaded it, can it function as a plug in for FCP or is it standalone? In which case, what's the best way to export audio from a timeline and re import without messing up synch?
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]