FORUMS: list search recent posts

.Mov Files Choking after Conversion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Gaer
.Mov Files Choking after Conversion?
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:08:36 pm

Ok.. I am having an issue with some video files choking even on a 1/4 playback rate in FCP.

The files were originally MPG2 files and after hours of searching the only way I found to use MPG2 files in FCP (I am running FCP Studio Version 2) was to use MPEG Streamclilp and convert them over to .Mov Files for use in FCP. I did this and imported the .mov files into FCP and now I have audio but the footage (although no red line over top) is choppy like it needs to be rendered (Which does not help).

Here are the specs of the computer I am working on in case it is a hardware issue but I don't think it is...
Mac Pro
OSX 10.6
2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
2 Graphics cards running 4 HD monitors (Nvidia GeForce GT 120 with 512 VRam)
Monitors are set at a display of 1920x1080 @ 60HZ

The Files that I am using were converted using MPEG Streamclip and the Mov Files are the H.264 codec with the following attributes...
Size 1280x720 at 29 fps
Datarate 6.3 mb/s
and the max length of a clip is only 5:20:00
All files are stored on the desk top so there is no data travel from another drive....

Hope this all helps someone with an answer for me...

I also have the MPEG codec installed as I found that thread on CreativeCow and got it from the gentleman who offered it up to anyone who may not have had it. Quicktime will now play MPEG files but that shouldn't have anything to do with this problem...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: .Mov Files Choking after Conversion?
on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:22:47 pm

You converted to the wrong format. FCP doesn't like to edit H.264 either. Look in the EASY SETUP list to see what codecs FCP works with. IF this is a DVD, then either DV/NTSC, DV50 will be good choices.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Timothy Gaer
on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:34:37 pm

Shane,

I'm actually not going to a DVD... the footage is gotten through the NewTek Tricaster (which exports the MPG2 File with an MP3)... The editing that I am doing I need to cut, add titles etc and then send it back to the tricaster as a .mov file (as newtek only accepts its own formatted AVI, MPG2 files and Quicktime.... or so I have seen thus far)

The choking is in final cut while I am editing. When I click on the time line... you can literally almost count to 3 or 5 before the image, timeline and the system will respond... I have even got the beach ball a few times and thought I would have to restart, but luckily before I got to that point it responded... This is a major annoyance.. and if it is fixable I would love to know how.

Tim

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 21, 2010 at 7:50:57 pm

The previous comment is what you needed to know - H264 is for delivery, not editing. FCP will always have to render it in order to use it, and it'll be crap. You need to convert your original files to something else (look in the Easy Setup for codecs that play well with FCP) and convert them. Then do your editing and titles and all that, and export to whatever delivery format your system needs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]