FORUMS: list search recent posts

media reconnection problems please advise

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
media reconnection problems please advise
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:40:31 am

I've just opened a project I was working on the other day, I just have to resize a logo; however the logo has gone off line.

When I try and reconnect I can't find it, I go into my 2nd drive to FCP documents to capture scratch.

Here's the strange thing, I can't even see the project in my capture scratch folder, let alone the right file.

When I first started using FCP I put my scratch in a few different places (I know, I know) but recently got it right and just store it on my second drive now.

I can easily re-import the logo, but I seem to get this problem enough to worry about it.

But where are the projects I've been working on recently? They're not in my scratch and this has left me scratching my head, could someone give me an inkling as to what's going on?

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
Re: media reconnection problems please advise
on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:36:10 pm

Maybe its defaulting to your Documents folder on your OS hard drive. You could also this: when the reconnect media window pops up, try hitting the search tab. This will scan your drives for the file name.

A good habit to get into is keeping your projects organized. Your capture scratch is only for captured media. Anything else you want to import should come from your project folder. Some people keep the Capture Scratch and FCP cache files on a separate drive from the project files. It should always be on a separate drive from the OS.

With my system being screaming fast with a RAID 0, my project files, capture scratch and cache files are all on the same RAID setup. That gets backed up to a FW800 drive. This frees up the OS drives to do there computing thang.

I create a Project folder. In there place your FCP project file. Then create a Media folder. In there place your Images, non-captured video, audio files, motion files or anything else.

I know this was long but when I started out, someone else gave me this advice and its saved me tons of time. Hope it helps.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]