FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Natasha Paulson
Rendering Question
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:24:47 am

Quick General Question:

Why is it that sometimes when I import .mov files and drop them on the timeline, I have to render them immediately? Other times I drop files onto my timeline and they're good to go, no rendering necessary. I thought maybe it was a format issue, but I've tried it with .mp4, .mov, etc. and I just can't figure out what makes the difference.

This answer would help save a bit of time! Thanks!
Natasha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rendering Question
on Jan 20, 2010 at 6:51:52 am

[Natasha Paulson] "Why is it that sometimes when I import .mov files and drop them on the timeline, I have to render them immediately?"

#28 Having to render every clip in the timeline

Shane's Stock Answer #28: When I put a clip in the timline, I have to render it before it will play. Why?

Your clip settings MUST match your timeline settings. If you have DV/NTSC material, you need a DV/NTSC timeline. The frame rate, audio rate and dimensions (4:3, 16:9) all need to match exactly. In Final Cut Pro 6, this is easy, because when you drop a clip into the timeline, it asks if you want to set up the timeline to match the settings of the first clip you drag into it. Click YES and you are ready to go.

However, in FCP 5.1 and earlier, it is a bit trickier.

The most important thing you need to do is properly set up your project from the start, and the best way to do this is to choose a setting from the Easy Setups, located under the Final Cut Pro menu.

Once you do this, you’ll need to create a new sequence. This is because the sequence that is already in your new project is setup for the typical default setting of DV/NTSC, or for the settings of your last project, which might not match what you are currently working with. So delete SEQUENCE 1 and create a new sequence:

This new sequence will contain the settings you chose in the Easy Setup menu, and should match the format you captured.

[Natasha Paulson] " Other times I drop files onto my timeline and they're good to go, no rendering necessary."

Then those match the sequence settings. ANd if you have two formats that differ, then you wll have to render one of them.

[Natasha Paulson] " I thought maybe it was a format issue, but I've tried it with .mp4, .mov, etc."

.MOV is just a container that can contain one of a dozen codecs. What's a codec? Go to the EASY SETUP list in the FINAL CUT PRO menu and you will see a few.

.MP4 is not an editable codec. Not all codecs are editable. The ones that are appear in that easy setup list. You need to convert to one of those formats.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:37:13 am

As ever Shane is the font of all knowledge on this one :-).

Just to add one little point, if rendering times are annoying you because you are editing together different format clips, then set your timeline menu to unlimited rt, that way that pesky little red line turns orange and voila! you can view your timeline uninterrupted, albeit at a lesser quality.

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Natasha Paulson
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:45:04 pm

Thanks guys! That makes a lot of sense! Appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:12:39 am

For the RT Pop Up Menu

When Editing, set to:
Unlimited RT
Dynamic Video Quality
Dynamic Playback Framerate

To get the most RT w/o dropping frames or rendering. That faster mac you have the more powerful this is.

When playing back for high quality or to tape
Safe RT
High Video Quality
Full Playback Framerate

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]