FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two computers for project/ProRes advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alyce ornella
Two computers for project/ProRes advice
on Jan 20, 2010 at 4:27:04 am

Hey everyone,

Apologies because I have looked through the forums enough to know that these topics are beat to death. While I have experience editing in FCP, I basically took a couple years off and now am working on a project that was shot in HDV on a Sony FX-1. Totally new territory for me, so... These are issues I am trying to resolve before plunging in to it.

-I am using FCP Studio. I have a choice of two computers to use. One is a 2008 iMac G5, the other is a Mac Pro tower from 2007. The project I am editing will be around 40 minutes when completed. What's the better choice? I'm inclined towards the iMac, but I have a nagging feeling the tower is better made for it. Thoughts?

-I think I have a basic grasp on ProRes 422, which is how I think I am going to capture the HDV footage. I have read several tutorials and workflows for this. But just so I am not mistaken in my assumption -- I CAN do this straight from the camera, through a Firewire 400 cable, and into the computer, right? I have done some tests with this set up, which seem to work, unless what I am seeing is somehow NOT ProRes even though that is how I set up the project file.

-I need a RAID drive, don't I?

Thank you!
Alyce

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Two computers for project/ProRes advice
on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:12:52 pm

The Mac Pro would be my choice. It has much greater processing power than the iMac. While you might get by with a Firewire 800 drive, the RAID will definitely do the job. The FCP Browser will show the clip's format. How are you planning to monitor? Do you have an i/o card or box?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]