FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro - MultiClip - Audio not syncing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaqai Mickelsen
Final Cut Pro - MultiClip - Audio not syncing
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:16:52 pm

Ok, so I'm in a lil' bit of a pinch here. FCP vs 6.0.6

I'm trying to create a multiclip from 3 different media sources. Camera 1, camera 2, and an audio source. The video footage from both cameras are ProRes422 (Transcoded from h264), full HD, at 30 frames per second. I'm aligning by placing an inpoint over the clickboard used at the shoot.

If I make a multiclip out of just camera 1 and camera 2, it syncs as I would expect it to.

The moment I try to make a multi clip of all three using the audio that was captured separately, camera 1 and camera 2 stay aligned, but the audio is way off. Oddly, it seems to ignore where I've placed the inpoint and skips five seconds ahead. In fact, in the multiclip, if I place it in a time line, I don't even here the clap - it literally starts after the clap by around five seconds.

If I try to have a multiclip with just the audio and one camera - same results, no matter which camera (1 or 2) I attempt to multiclip the audio with.

Originally, the audio track was 48 Khz and 24-bit Integer, so I made a new version at 41.1 Khz and 16-bit integer (to be the same settings as the video audio ) either way - I'm still having the same alignment issue the moment the audio comes to the party.

If I align all three (cam 1, cam 2, and audio) into a time line - it all syncs up just fine.

I need multiclip because I'm nabbing the selects for a production house, and if I don't have multiclip built in they'd have to start from scratch to find my selects. Been chasing my tail on this for a while - any help is extremely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
Re: Final Cut Pro - MultiClip - Audio not syncing
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:30:35 pm

Check out Pluraleyes http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

They have a trial. It syncs by analyzing the audio. It's very easy to use.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer/Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:45:26 pm

Thanks, but getting it to align isn't really my issue - We shot with a clapper board, so I have great reference points for syncing. My issue seems to be that FCP won't play nice with this audio in a multiclip - and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

It's ignoring where the inpoint is - but if I monkey around with the inpoint I can get it to sync manually, so the inpoint is having some kind of impact. It's gotta be something silly right? Some setting/transcoding tweak somewhere?

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:55:27 pm

Why did you convert the audio to 44.1? It should stay as 48 khz and possibly 16 bit. Although I think 24 bit should be ok. Maybe there was a shift in your conversion.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:59:44 pm

Hi thanks for your reply - I did that with just one audio clip thinking maybe it was off sync because the audio was 48 and the video's audio was 44.1. I was trying to get everything exactly the same in an effort to chase down the culprit.

But, you are right - it made no difference. 48 khz vs 44.1 khz = same results for the problem here. I still have the original 48 khz file so will likely revert back.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 19, 2010 at 10:04:29 pm

Another question, you say you transcoded from h264. Why? Can't you get the originals from the camera. Just curious as to why your originals are h264. thats a compressed codec. are there cameras that shoot to that?

I'm trying to create a multiclip from 3 different media sources. Camera 1, camera 2, and an audio source. The video footage from both cameras are ProRes422 (Transcoded from h264), full HD, at 30 frames per second. I'm aligning by placing an inpoint over the clickboard used at the shoot.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 10:08:06 pm

Yes, we shot HD on cameras (Not sure which they were to be honest, they Canon SLRs that capture HD with H.264.) The audio isn't coming from the camera but from a completely independent dat recorder.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:08:42 pm

You said you transcoded to 30 fps. Do you mean that literally, or is it 29.97?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:27:29 pm

Canon SLR's don't shoot video at 29.97fps. They shoot video at 30fps STRAIGHT UP. No wonder your audio won't sync up.

This is a big issue with the Canon 5D. The 7D I hear does record 29.97, and 23.98. But the 5D only 30fps... but there might be some firmware update that fixed that. But that wouldn't work for you, since you already shot the footage.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:44:53 pm

What is odd is that the audio does sync up if I put everything in a time line manually...with the same inpoints.

V1 - camera 1
V2 - camera 2
A1/A2 - audio

That works. It's the moment I try to put the three of them in that pesky multiclip does the sky fall. And again, hoping to hold onto multiclip so when they take the selects that still have access to both cameras.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:10:21 am

Try seeing if Cinema Tools can conform the 30fps clips to 29.97.

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:35:07 am

You gave me hope John... Using streamclip I just did a test and transcoded a video at 29.97 - tried to align it with the audio (Just the single video and the single audio file) and still no dice. It acts the same way it did when the video was at 30 frames. It jumps in way after the clap in the multi clip it produced.

I'm just about to full on panic mode at this point.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:56:28 am

The thing with pluraleyes is it creates new audio files when it makes the multiclip so I thought it mightwork. What a pain! Don't panic, you'll figure it out.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer/Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Jan 20, 2010 at 12:56:50 am

Talked to client, at least found a work around that will work for this fire, but would still love to get a solid idea of what the heck is happening if anyone happens to see it and know the trick.

Thanks so much everyone.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:04:26 am

[Jaqai Mickelsen] "You gave me hope John... Using streamclip I just did a test and transcoded a video at 29.97 - tried to align it with the audio (Just the single video and the single audio file) and still no dice. It acts the same way it did when the video was at 30 frames. It jumps in way after the clap in the multi clip it produced.

I'm just about to full on panic mode at this point.
"

NOT STREAMCLIP! I am not suggesting you transcode anything. The conform function in Cinema Tools!

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jan 20, 2010 at 2:20:39 pm

So does that mean this was shot 30 fps Progressive? If so, that's what I shoot with our HVX 200 on P2. I shoot 720p30PN all the time because it downconverts nicely to NTSC 29.97 using Compressor. Do you need to conform using Cinema Tools or can you just convert with Compressor?

So, can't he just up, down, or cross-convert the files to 1080i29.97 or whatever format he needs? NTSC, 720p60, 1080i60?

Return to posts index

Naiche Lujan
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:23:41 pm

I had a similar but probably not exact same issue with footage from a Canon T1i SLR camera with separately recorded audio track.

Here's the workaround I would have suggested had I read your post earlier.
1. Line up you audio track with either one of your camera angles such that it PLAYS correctly on the timeline.
2. Mute or delete the the original audio track(s) that came with that footage on the timeline.
3. Export timeline as ProRes such that you have a new video clip WITH THE PROBLEMATIC AUDIO TRACK ATTACHED.(hopefully now in sync)
4. Then put that new file along with the other camera angle into a multiclip, choosing audio from your newly created file.

It's still a mystery why both your and my problems exist, but out of curiosity which device was used to record audio? I wonder if it could be the audio recorders are the source of the problem.

Here's my post fyi...
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/884720

Naiche

Mac Pro
Dual 2.8Ghz Quad-Core
16GB RAM
ATI Radeon 256MB
320GB 7200rpm
3TB 7200rpm Internal Software RAID0
Blackmagic Studio Card (working good so far)

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:56:28 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with FCP 7.01. I discovered a work around that may help you as well. If you pick your audio source and one of your cameras, merge those clips (using your in points) THEN use that merged clip and your second camera to create a multiclip the audio stays in sync. An extra step and a PITA to be sure, but it works.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

les arenson
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:39:57 am

as crazy as it sounds, we've discovered on 7.0.1 that multiclipping 3 cameras and external audio only works when we group by OUT point. IN Point doesn't seem to hold and audio plays out-of-sync. and of course using AUX TC is useless in FCP.

Return to posts index

les arenson
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:46:45 am

Try OUT Point

Return to posts index

Guy Carmeli
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:00:22 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having the same problem on FCP 7.0.2. It does not seem to matter if I sync by IN point, OUY point or TIMECODE. Everytime the audio is 10 seconds ahead.

Has anyone found a solution yet, or is this a bug?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:07:51 pm

There's an issue in FCP 7 that didn't exist (I think) in FCP 6. If there's a gap between clips, the audio & video will become un-synced. If you fill the gaps (and that means at the program start, too) the sync is good. Try adding slugs and see if it helps.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Renee Moore
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:43:20 pm

Just like an earlier member posted, you need to do the following to multiclip using cameras and external audio:

1. Stack cameras and external audio files in timeline according to timecode.

2. Sync all three sources in the timeline.

3. put the playhead at the OUT point where all three sources align.

4. Match back and set OUT point on each of the cameras

5. HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART: Match back and place OUT point on external audio AND remove the IN point (OPTION "O").

6. Select all three clips and Create multiclip using OUT point as method.

This will work. We've done it for two network shows, but you HAVE to REMOVE the IN POINT on the External audio clip or it will not be in sync in the multiclip.

Return to posts index

Renee Moore
on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:41:21 am

CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST:

TO REMOVE THE IN POINT WHEN YOU MATCH BACK TO THE EXTERNAL AUDIO SOURCE CLIP, USE OPTION+I.

IF YOU DON'T REMOVE THE IN POINT FROM THE EXTERNAL AUDIO CLIP THE MULTICLIP WILL BE OUT OF SYNC.

Return to posts index

Michelle Patterson
on Nov 19, 2014 at 3:52:20 am

This worked for me (stacking on the timeline) however if you matchback the audio and grab the audio from the viewer with the drag hand it creates a sub-clip. I found that if the audio is a sub-clip it causes the audio to be out of sync. It has to be a clip.

To do that drag the audio from a synced timeline so it is a "CLIP" rather than a "SUBCLIP" (which will screw up the sync) and then double click on the audio clip in the browser and remove the in point. Then do a multiclip.

Return to posts index

les arenson
on Jun 8, 2010 at 6:17:45 pm

use OUT points not IN points

Return to posts index

Adam Kolkman
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:18:54 am

Make a subclip of your audio and everything should sync fine. The problem seems to come in when your audio clip has a much longer lead in than the video. Not sure why but fixed the issue for me.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Braue
on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:48:17 pm

I am having the same exact issue right now creating multiclips where the audio jumps 5-10 seconds out of sync with a documentary I am working on. It's a two cam shoot using a Canon 5Dm2 and a Canon 7D shooting at 23.98, and recording the audio separately with a Tascam DR-100. I've worked with this setup before and have been able to sync both video sources and the separate audio source by using out points (as mentioned above) at our common marker and then creating a multiclip.

However, now I am running into the same issue described in this thread for the first time and am not sure what is different between this project and previous projects where I have done the same exact thing. PluralEyes is able to sync all three clips perfectly, but when I try using PE to create the multiclip, still the same thing. This isn't a frame rate issue, but some type of bug in FCP.

I did try the "audio subclip fix" but to no avail. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

-jon

Return to posts index

Mic Molinaro
on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:02:09 am

I have had several issues with FCP 7. The issue of audio/video out of sync that I have had is not with aligning the clips (as someone suggested using plural eyes), it was in FCPs alignment after "I" had PERFECTLY set the "In" points. I even tried aligning using "out" points.

The problem (for me) exists in the encoded footage. FCP was obviosly having issues with it. It could aligned the other 2 cams perfectly (or vise versa). Whatever the case, 2 of the 3 cams would align but 1 would not (in multicam). I can only assume the footage from the 1 cam is/was corrupted somehow. Whether it's a bug or not, needed to be remedied.

Note: Something I have noticed is that FCP 7 makes it's multiclip in alphabetical order according to the clips names. IRONICALLY the clip that I had problems with started with a "B", which meant, it was going to be the name of the multiclip. Not sure how all that works but, when I lay the multiclip in timeline, it starts off with the audio and video from the messed up clip. Yes, I can go in to the multicam menu and change which audio and video I want displayed but, that didn't seem to make a difference.

***SOLUTION***

Lay the footage that will not sync in a NEW Timeline.
Export footage with same compression (I renamed it with a name that wouldn't be used by multiclip to aligned first example "TEST B2".
Import clip from wherever you exported to.
Realign clips using NEW exported clip.
This fixed my problem. Hope it prevents someone from pulling all their hair out like me! Smiles, Mic

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:11:29 pm

Great to see this thread as I was also having the same issue. I worked with and did a multiclip fine with a music video I cut recently, but when I tried to apply the same steps to syncing two camera angles and a separately recorded clean audio track, no dice.

I did as everyone has said and synced it how I would sync anything. Laid in the clean audio, making a mark at the slate board clap. Then found the same slate sound on the poor, attached audio from each video clip, and put them on top of the audio in the timeline. Once everything was synced, I deleted the poor audio leaving just the clean audio and the two video clips.

But when I select all three and drag and drop in a new bin to make a multi clip, the multi clip is completely out of sync and I couldn't understand why. Also, one clip ran for the whole length of the clean audio, but the second angle for some reason was chopped up. It ran for about 2 minutes at the beginning of the clip, then cut off, then there was a separate video clip that started from the middle of the audio. But I shouldn't think that would cause any issues.

I didn't try using out points, so I will try that. I'm really hoping that works and it's not a bug. I didn't shoot or transcode anything I'm working with, so I have no idea what anything is or how it was shot.

If anyone has any other suggestions or words of advice, would be great to hear it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Arvin Bautista
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:59:34 am

I just encountered this problem myself and the easiest solution I could think of, quicker than out points, was to mark in and outs of the audio file and make a subclip. Then you can multiclip that subclip and the video via in-points and it all lines up.

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Emmanuel Tenenbaum
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:53:07 pm

Hi

After spending hours on it myself I would like to propose a quite simple workaround using PluralEyes.

Place video 1 + sound 1 on tracks 1
Place video 2 + sound 2 on tracks 2
Place external audio 1 on track 3
Place external audio 2 on track 4

Use PluralEyes with the option replace audio. You obtain a sequence with 2 clips: the video + the external audio (you probably didn't want to keep the audio from camera did you?)

On this timeline set an IN point for these same clips at the same timecode. Then do MAKE MULTICLIP, using TIMECODE.

It works for me.

Just spent a whole day on it :(

Emmanuel Tenenbaum
http://emmanueltenenbaum.com

Return to posts index

Gerard Pelle
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:58:36 pm

Hi

Same problem.

If i click on ''Item properties'', my audio is ''slug is offline''.

My multiclips work on my FCP 7.0.3 on my macbookpro but are out of sync and offline on my MacPro tower, on FCP 7.0.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gerard Pelle
on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:03:27 pm

Hi resolved the problem.

I had 2 mute video and 5 external audio (boom, ch1 ch2, ambient). So, i merged each one video tracks with audio and then i maked multiclip with the two clips merged at the IN point. That's it!

I worked with copies of original clips in a different bin and I didn't delete this bin. It works great!.

AppleProRes 442 LT, Audio Wav 24bit 48 khz.

FCP 7.0.3 on Mac Book Pro Lion 2,5 Ghz Intel Core i7 8GB ram 1333 Mhz DDR 3

Happy!!

Gerard

Return to posts index

Chelsea Wagner
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:59:26 pm

Multi cam bites in fcpx. I have the same issue with an audio clip drifting out of sync. And the clips in sync in the multi cam view and not dropping in sync in the project. Finally after a lot of time playing with it I got some progress. First I found that some of the clips don't perfectly sync. If you slide the start of the clip over and re-sync usually on the first try it finds the right place. I tried to retime a clip in FCPX and once it did it (it worked for the audio) but it turned off the auto sync function for any more clips I wanted to drop in.

Oh yes that was after I had to redo the multi cam clip from scratch matching the five cameras first then dropping in the audio which does funky stuff with the project as you drop in the clips.

I really wish with all the billions that apple has that they dump a bunch of money into software. With there capital they could more than rule..... Still working on the project. Found that if I add transitions in the project it dips the audio level and there is no option to turn it that off that I can find. So I have to make a multi clip and drop that into a new project spit the audio off and drop the transitions in. And hope I don't have to adjust any clips or I have to start that allover again. Etc.....

Are we having fun yet?

Return to posts index

Jaqai Mickelsen
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:12:51 pm

I'm surprised this thread is still earning response. If anything it helps me to feel like, "great. I wasn't losing my mind after all."

Since then, I've actually pretty much made the full leap to premiere pro - and I haven't ran into these kinds of issues. I mean, there has been issues, but nothing quite as blatantly "what...the heck is going on?" as this one was.

Return to posts index

Chelsea Wagner
on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:30:07 pm

I have to look at premier pro. I finally figured out the sync thing. I was an issue with the recorder breaking up the audio into clips with actual time gaps between the clips. That ended up because of a obscure setting on the recorder. Once I broke up the clips and synced them individual to the scratch tracks; actually going back and forth between scratch tracks and the different audio tracks the sync it worked great.

Chelsea

Return to posts index

Sascha Stanton-Craven
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25:43 pm

Hey guys -

THINK I HAVE A SOLUTION THAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

First, the problem:
I've had a similar issue - two identical cameras and separately recorded audio. We recently got a new mixer/recorder, so maybe that has something to do with the problem, but not sure. Basically, I can merge audio with either video track and pull it into the timeline and it's fine. But if I merge the audio with either video track then multiclip that merged clip to the other video angle and pull the resulting multiclipped, merged track into the timeline the audio tracks sort of spread out and don't line up at all.

SOLUTION:

After a lot of tinkering, I found that if I switched the active angle in the multiclip before dragging it to the timeline, it was fine. The angle that preserves the audio/video relation is the one that was a) merged and b) first alphabetically. Don't know which of these things matter, if either, but as long as I do this, it's fine. Still trying to figure out why. Hope this helps someone.

Return to posts index

Evan Kultangwatana
on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:10:34 pm

go wes. thanks, man. saved me!

Return to posts index

Sascha Stanton-Craven
on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:36:05 pm

Ha, what's up, dude! Fancy seeing you here. Glad it helped/hope you're well!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]