FORUMS: list search recent posts

needle drop opinion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Neely
needle drop opinion
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:38:24 pm

Hey guys,

quick totally out of the blue question- I own several jumpback libraries and I have a client who wants to utlize a couple for a corporate internal video done on FCP. Plus, the client has budgeted money for a 'needle drop' fee of any jumpbacks used. I have never charged a needle drop fee in the past and wondered if any of you can tell me what you typically charge (or would recommend me to charge) based on what I use. Totally your opinions on this, and I'm not too bothered, just want to know what people think is standard. Thanks!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: needle drop opinion
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:49:41 pm

$100 per cut is the average rate for a true needle drop library that charges by the cut. I either don't charge or charge a nominal fee for any buyout music we own. Depends on the client and the size of the project.

Usually I'll charge $25 to $100 per cut of music.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:56:43 pm

Ah, now that makes sense. In the Digital Juice realm though, a whole music library is $100.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:57:40 pm

[Bret Williams] "Ah, now that makes sense. In the Digital Juice realm though, a whole music library is $100."

Yep, so one $100 needle drop fee pays for the library. Every fee after that is pure profit.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:00:57 pm

Yeah, I guess in a roundabout way that's how I've been going at it with video elements. Would you charge a "needle drop" fee for things from a video library? I always considered having a couple around sort of part of the biz. Kinda like owning software and hardware. Of course the more resources you have, the higher hourly rate you might charge.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:19:48 pm

[Bret Williams] "Would you charge a "needle drop" fee for things from a video library?"

Yep, I do. Lower fee for SD clips than HD, but the way I look at it, if I did not have the clips in house, we would have to pay a fee to download the clip from a library. So either way the client would have to pay for the clip. Here they pay me instead of a library when I have the material available.

My fees are MUCH lower than download libraries, but it's a fee nonetheless.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:54:07 pm

You say needle drop, so I assume you're talking about the Digital Juice audio library? In any case, are you talking about just letting another producer or production company use the library you purchased and then charging them a fee for it? I don't think you can do that. That would essentially be reselling the product unchanged. As well, most of the libraries from Juice are $50 or less to purchase, so what kind of fee would you charge anyway?

I will often purchase a library because it has a needed element, and then charge it back to the client, but I retain the library. Sort of my fee for doing the legwork. I could charge an hourly rate to do the legwork, but that would probably cost more than the library. I'll eventually use the library for something else usually.

So what library are we talking about, the Jumpback backgrounds or were you referring to the audio library?

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:28:39 pm

Thanks for the responses (Bret, good to hear from you after all these years).

We are talking Digital Juice jumpbacks and yes I'm aware they're pretty cheap so I question how much I should charge per clip when the library is so inexpensive. The other school of thought is more like Walter, where he has commented in the past about making in investment on new equipment/software and that one job alone pays for it and the rest being profit. This would be the same.

And I originally acquired my libraries for my internal edit needs, yes. But if a client wants to use mine, why should he not pay a fee since we naturally charge for everything else we supply (music, equipment, media)?

Again, I normally don't do this since I deal with smaller budgets often and the client is so strapped and easy-going, I'm happy to waive an occasional fee. But in this case, they budgeted and expect a charge, so I thought I'd ask.

thanks again for your feedback!

Rick

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:11:28 pm

I see nothing wrong with charging for music you include in your edit. In fact, it's important to do so. Your clients should learn it costs to use music. At least in a professional context. You will eventually have a case where the music you own doesn't contain an appropriate track for a project. Then, you (and your client) will have to pay for new music anyway. We pay a monthly license fee to Killer Tracks to have unlimited access to their music library for our projects. We don't charge by needle drops. We charge according to the amount (time) of music used. We might use one track looped to five minutes or 10 tracks totaling five minutes and the cost would be the same.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]