FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI capture with timecode window

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blas Kisic
SDI capture with timecode window
on Jan 19, 2010 at 4:17:52 am

I'm hoping that, with the wealth of information here I'll be able to lick this pesky problem.

We have a Digital Beta VTR connected to a FCP 6 system in a Mac Pro, running Leopard. We're using a Kona LHi card. We routinely capture 90-minute Digital Beta tapes for audio work. The system is connected to a Sony DVW-A500 VTR via SDI.

We have no trouble capturing the timecode data. However, we'd like to be able to include a TC window-burn at the capture stage, as our team uses the on-screen information for reference. We'd rather avoid going through Final Cut Pro to add a TC layer and encoding it, because of time considerations.

I've fiddled with the settings in the LHi Control Panel and VTR Xchange, but to no avail. Is there a way to include that information at the capture stage, to avoid the additional step of encoding the video with the TC window in FCP?

TIA,
BK

Blague Studios
11417 Moorpark St
North Hollywood
CA 91602-2009
voice: (818) 769-5661
fax: (818) 769-5996
http://www.blague-studio.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: SDI capture with timecode window
on Jan 19, 2010 at 6:00:12 am

Yes. Use the SUPER OUT option on the deck, and turn on visible timecode. You need the deck to generate the Vis TC. The capture card interface cannot.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Austin Ray
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:29:14 pm

When you are connected to SDI SUPER OUT, as mentioned, make sure to have the switch "CHARACTER" turned on. You will find this in front of the deck, underneath the front panel.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 19, 2010 at 3:16:17 pm

You can turn on character inserter on the deck itself like the other folks said. In the menus of the deck you will find H-position, V-position, and display characteristics such as time code only or time code + status display, etc.

For the movies you've already captured, or another solution entirely, check out QT Sync - where you can add a text timecode visual overlay to any quicktime file. Super easy and free and doesn't have to render.

Return to posts index

Blas Kisic
on Jan 21, 2010 at 10:30:07 pm

Thanks, all, for your replies.
Indeed, I have a monitor connected to the deck and, yes I have been able to position the TC exactly where I want it, and am able to see it - but for some reason it's not showing in the SDI signal.
I'll look at the ports in the back of the VTR, mabye I connected it in the wrong one, or something...

Thanks again,
BK

Blague Studios
11417 Moorpark St
North Hollywood
CA 91602-2009
voice: (818) 769-5661
fax: (818) 769-5996
http://www.blague-studio.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved