FORUMS: list search recent posts

I've got the beachball

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Godfrey Pye
I've got the beachball
on Jan 18, 2010 at 8:48:23 pm

I’ve been a FCP editor for a few years now and I have recently encountered a problem.

After moving the cursor around in the timeline for approx 15 / 20 seconds, I get the dreaded beachball, for about 30 seconds. As you will imagine, this is not good for productivity. It happens in any project / timeline, each with matching media.

I was running on the latest version of Leopard when it started, then I upgraded to Snow Leopard in a bid to cure the problem - but it made no difference.

My computer is a 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel with 8 gigs of RAM. The OS is 10.6.2 and the FCP version is 7.0.1. The media is stored on a G-Speed ES RAID, connected by SATA interface. Drives are filled to approx 25% of capacity.

I have trashed and restored the prefs and I don’t know what to do next so I wonder if anyone has an idea? Please.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: I've got the beachball
on Jan 18, 2010 at 8:54:26 pm

1) Fix permissions on the system with Apple Disk Utility.

That should do the job.

2) Run Disk Warrior on all drives. If you don't have it, get it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Godfrey Pye
on Jan 18, 2010 at 9:55:43 pm

David, you are a prince among men.
I did what you suggested (tip No.1) and I have since tested FCP to the hilt.
It has worked so well that I am now definitely going to buy Disk Warrior (tip No. 2) immediately.
In fact I used to have a copy of DW back around FCP 5-time but I never needed to use it so it didn't resound with me.

I'm just about to start a job that calls for 10 x 5-minute webisodes of a program - and this fixed timeline is a joy. Anyway, must rush as I'm going to buy a new copy of DW immediately.

Thank you, thank you again.

Godfrey Pye
Mulholland Bays - in the Hollywood Hills

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 18, 2010 at 10:53:21 pm

Excellent Godfrey!

For the record, always fix permissions after updating, upgrading, or even after installing from scratch. Seems like it would be unnecessary, but at these times it's actually most necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rudy Moni
on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:13:51 pm

Hello David,
What do you mean by " fix the permissions " ?
Thank you,
Rudy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 29, 2011 at 6:16:37 pm

Open Disk Utility in the Application>>Utilities folder, and when you select your system drive (often labeled Mackintosh HD), you'll see an option to Fix Permissions. It's a very common part of routine Mac system maintenance that should be done whenever updating software, whenever adding new applications, or in conjunction with trashing FCP preferences whenever strange behaviors begin to occur.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Rudy Moni
on Mar 29, 2011 at 8:40:48 pm

Hello David,
I appreciate your fast reply.
I did the permissions, bought diskwarrior and processed all drives except system drive.
I have to wait until I get the CD for that.
I am still having some " beach ball " stuff . . . I think it might have something to do with one particular clip.
Thank you,
Rudy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]