FORUMS: list search recent posts

New FCP suite and New Quad16G Ram rendering slow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Butch Mac
New FCP suite and New Quad16G Ram rendering slow
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:36:18 am

Hi,
I have been editing for 26 years and have been very fortunate to have witnessed the amazing changes that have come about since the old 2inch machines (avr3..TR60...Ampex2000 etc) died. Over the last few years I have been using an 844x... a very fast SD box that still has features and functions that leave the others behind. However with the event of HD arriving I finally let the old girl go and purchased a brand spanking new quad core with the latest FCP suite and the latest adobe suite.
I did my research and made sure that I had 2gigs for each core etc etc and a really good card... I was ready to rock.
I got my head around the various workflows then jumped into my first edit... a basic hi res stills (no more than 3500x3500pix jpg's) tvc with some basic fx and titling, a job which I thought would be good to test out the FCP/Motion workflow and... WOW

I could not believe the rendering speed...

I thought I was back on a commodore 64 (sorry commodore 64 lovers:))

Sorry for the long story but at least it wasn't you that spent 15 hours trying to output your first tvc from a mac... hmmm. Anyway I'll cut a long story even longer...

Yes... Everything was Easily Setup for pro res (HQ)
Yes... All my RT thingy's were correct and by the way... I am the
"Restarting King". I was told this is the only way you can purge memory on FCP/mac etc etc.

And what, 19 minutes to render a 5 second nest of 5 photoshop layers that were not even larger than my timelines res. Go figure...

Can anyone shed some light on why my new "clean" system is as slow as a slug?

As I am obviously a newbie to FCP I appologise in advance for any operational errors, but I do feel I have explored FCP well enough to know that there is an issue here.(obviously it could still be me)

Some of the things I have looked into.

As an experiment I turned off the alpha channels on all media in the layers I was trying to render and that made all my layers realtime...??? hmmmm.Pity I still need the alpha's.

My FCP project is a pal 25fps project yet when I exported part of it to motion the media manager in motion stated a 30fps for the still frame media. This is I think what was causing my "out of memory message" when trying to render... when I changed the still media(via media manager) in motion to the correct frame rate everything seemed ok.(3 hours working this one out)

As you know you can import a psd in as a sequence... the layers come in perfectly as stated in the book, but wait, copy 2 layers to your main edit sequence and presto they both have the same name (the psd name only) which really confuses things when you export to a compositing program, not to mention the clients.

When you send to motion, the process creates a nested sequence in your project folder and a motion file... why can't I open the nest , change things and then have everything update in the motion file. That would be the perfect workflow for me

I like fcp but what is it with that little auto select switch... why why why... can someone please tell me the reason for it. It just seems to make pasting or puting a clip in the timeline a longer exercise... I guess I'll learn soon enough.

Anyway I better wipe now...
If anyone could tell me why my new machine is so slow it would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers
Butch Mac

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: New FCP suite and New Quad16G Ram rendering slow
on Jan 18, 2010 at 4:36:29 pm

No... You're not crazy at all.

I, too, am having issues with rendering ProRes 422. But I do know for a fact that ProRes422HQ and PAL do not work well at all. There has always been issues with FCP and PAL for many years now.

I am also frustrated with this slow rendering... It's costing me and my company money on wasted time rendering.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Butch Mac
on Jan 24, 2010 at 2:30:52 pm

Appologies for my negative comments... since further investigations I have actually found a bug which has created all my problems... I have since reported it to apple and they are on to it. Thank you "apple mac support" for your help with this matter. I now have that wonderful purple blue line in my sequences and now I can enjoy the speed of my new machine.
Cheers
Butch
P.s. if anyone wants to know the bug please respond and I will reveal all.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 24, 2010 at 6:20:55 pm

[Butch Mac] "P.s. if anyone wants to know the bug please respond and I will reveal all."

Okay, I want to know. Please reveal all...

THNX,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:04:15 pm

Yes, please share!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Roger Watling
on Sep 14, 2010 at 9:25:34 pm

me too please
roger@watling.org.uk

Return to posts index

Jeroen Teelen
on Oct 30, 2010 at 12:21:57 pm

It's a crime rendering on my new quad-core 16 gigs (4TB raid 0) system... So I would like to get some tips!!!!

What I don't understand is the (in my opinion) unlogical way of deciding which parts need re-rendering. A very small change brings a red line over parts that are unchanged! Why! In my opinion rendering could get much smarter (I was a Avid Liquid user, and Liquid had a much smarter rendering-algorithm... Apple please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]