FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP - motion and after effects (dominance issue?)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristin fraser
FCP - motion and after effects (dominance issue?)
on Jan 16, 2010 at 11:30:42 pm

I am working on a final cut project that had elements from motion (manipulated photographs) and after effects (animation done by someone else and exported into an .mov).

I can only get one element to work well at a time when the project is exported through compressor ... and it all seems to come down to dominance. The after effects needs to be in progressive, while the motion stuff only looks right in lower(even).
I have tried changing the original motion stuff to progressive (which would make sense) but I can't seem to make it work.

I really need some help figuring this out.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP - motion and after effects (dominance issue?)
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:05:54 am

We need some basic info like sequence settings, main camera codec, Motion .mov codec, animation .mov codec.

Also how are you monitoring your timeline? FCP computer monitor, external monitor (type and IO card)??

Then export settings to Compressor, what format/codec you are exporting to and how that result is being viewed.

Return to posts index

kristin fraser
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:22:28 am

The project has no inputed video just animation and manipulated photographs.

It will only be viewed online thru you tube

I have tried various settings for everything.

The motion the main one I have used for project presets is a DV/NTSC, 720x480, square pixels. It looks great when I export it interlaced, progressive looks jagged. I have also used a animation export setting.

I am working on a macbook pro:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 144 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x2a02
Revision ID: 0x0003
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
E90-3:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 85 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

and I also have an external monitor a View Sonic E90

I have tried carious codecs for export from WMV, to ken stone's recommendations for you tube export. I have wanted the exports on both monitors plus on another pc.

I hope that answered everything.

It all seems to come down to how I export it from FCP and compressor ... whether it is progressive or even.

I'll take any suggestions to try.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:34:12 am

As the final result is progressive, then you need to choose a non interlace codec.

DV is standard def and interlaced (lower) so a poor choice for your manipulted pictures. You still haven't told me what the animation codec is but my approach would be to use an HD sequence like ProRes with Dominance set to none. Exported animation would be preferably in the same codec and the manipulates stills also in ProRes. Also match your pixel aspects carefully. Try to make everything the same.

When exporting through Compressor, the resulting images will be progressive which is best for web. Compressor can then scale down to the required web size if non HD material is required.

My understanding of YouTube is that 1280 x 720p is their preferred pixel size for HD content but check first before making a choice on sequence settings, frame rates and files.

Return to posts index

kristin fraser
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:43:52 am

any suggestions if I want to use the motion sequences in the fcp sequence?

thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:47:59 am

As I said -
[Michael Gissing] "and the manipulates stills also in ProRes. Also match your pixel aspects carefully. Try to make everything the same."

sorry about the spelling mistake. Should have typed "manipulated stills" ie your motion files. I presume you can re-export them in ProRes

Return to posts index

kristin fraser
on Jan 17, 2010 at 12:56:37 am

I think I get what you were saying ... but maybe not.

I just had success by exporting the sequence from motion in prores HQ (which I think is what the animation is in ... I thought I had tried this before but maybe I hadn't) I then took the resulting .mov and laid it in the fcp timeline ... telling the new sequence there not to match the clip settings.

I have a number of motion sequences that along with a handful of animations make up the fcp sequence. I would like to see if there is a way to skip the exporting from motion step and just lay the motion sequences in the fcp project so as I tweak things I won;t have to re-export every section.

If I am just being dim ... and not understanding what you are saying. I apologize (and blame it on spending too much time trying to fix this problem.)

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:05:25 am

If the animations are ProRes HQ then yes match that although there are many who think HQ is overkill. Importantly the ProRes files and edit sequence should have field dominance set to none.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]