FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Porter
Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?
on Jan 16, 2010 at 3:15:12 am

I'm getting killed in render times. My last 15min video took 12hours of rendering/encoding. I'm wondering if I need a new Mac Pro.
My work flow:
FCP with XDCAM footage - Create an uncompressed Quicktime with prores - Quicktime then to Compressor to resize to web player dimensions, in Prores - then to On2 Flix Pro for encoding flv.

Will a Mac Pro 2.66 quad core improve this Dramatically?
My current system is a Dual 2.7 G5 w/ 4gigs ram running 10.4 Tiger
Thanks

Return to posts index

David Ruck
Re: Compressor so slow on dual 2.7 Will a quad-core add speed?
on Jan 16, 2010 at 5:48:41 am

That quad core would do the same job in about six or seven hours which is significantly quicker, but still a long time.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jan 16, 2010 at 7:15:11 am

I had a 2.5 dual G5 and upgraded to an 8-Core.

With After Effects rendering it was about 8 times faster.

I'm certain you'll experience a significant increase in speed with Compressor.

You can probably take a sample file to the Apple Store and ask to do a test. Compare the time it takes to do that same task on your 2.7 GHz G5.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 18, 2010 at 2:41:09 am

[Blake Porter] "FCP with XDCAM footage - Create an uncompressed Quicktime with prores - Quicktime then to Compressor to resize to web player dimensions, in Prores - then to On2 Flix Pro for encoding flv. "

You're wasting a lot of time and disk space. If your target is known to be Flash, there's no reason to edit in high def. Bring it in using a codec closer to your delivery specs. You can always go back and create/recapture for higher rez.

But I have no patience for such inquiries. When I was a kid, AE v1 and v2 needed a weekend to render 10 seconds of one effect on one layer.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Jan 18, 2010 at 2:49:42 am

Thanks bogiesan,
Unfortunately my client insists. I tried explaining that no one would tell the difference.
But they invested in XDCAM and want it pushed all the way through. I got the feeling to pursue the idea of faster everything, would be impertinent on my part. So to make them happy and get the work....
Perhaps I'll bring it up again... with samples and cost savings.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jan 18, 2010 at 7:23:41 am

If there's a chance of a project being repurposed in HD then it's better to go full HD from the start. If it's all done in SD and the client decides an HD version is needed, the graphics and other elements have to be redone and manually positioned. Many elements created in Livetype and AE might not scale up easily from SD to HD. It certainly won't do so automatically when using Media Manager.

It means re-doing an entire program just to rescale up to the original resolution.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]