FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conform Timecode Conversion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian tucker
Conform Timecode Conversion
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:50:21 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've just been given a FCP project with a 23.98 cut (timeline) with footage from a 23.98 source tape (HDCAM). My client wants to do a conform and output but has given me a 59.94 source tape.

Obviously the simplest solution is to get the original 23.98 source for me to re-dig from however, that tape seems to have disappeared. Other than doing a complete "eyeball" re-edit, does anyone know of a way in FCP for me convert a 23.98 timeline with 23.98 source to 59.94. My experience says there's no way, but I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised in these forums when people seem to have found solutions I'd never thought of.

Cheers
Ian

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: Conform Timecode Conversion
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:18:16 pm

I assume the 59.95 tape is 1080i? In which case it's most likely your 23.98 timeline with 3:2 pulldown added and 29.97 fps timecode.

So do they want a new clean 23.98 timeline created? Or are they cool keeping things in 1080i/59.94?

Either way your first step would be to use Cinema Tools to turn a 23.98 EDL from FCP into a 29.97 EDL. That will capture all the pieces. Add some healthy handles to the recapture so you can roll clips around a bit. It's never perfect.

Now if they want clean 23.98 again you'll have to spend some time reverse telecine-ing each clip.

Return to posts index

Ian tucker
Re: Conform Timecode Conversion
on Jan 15, 2010 at 7:31:06 pm

Thanks so much Aaron. Yes, the new source tape is 1080i. I'm going to test out the Cinema Tools route and see what happens. Unfortunately, from what I've been told, this has to remain 23.98.
Sucks to be me :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]