FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultimate studio set-up?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Dron
Ultimate studio set-up?
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:29:42 pm

Hi there

Question: I have an idea but if you were building an FCP studio (for web video delivery) from scratch, what would be your hardware set-up?

I may need to do it fairly soon :-) and I don't want to waste money on things that are no good/becoming redundant/OTT.

Assume MacPro?
Display?
Need a bespoke graphics card?
External hard drive (size/model)?
Anything else I've forgotten?

Ignore headphones (as I already have some MDR-7506s) and pro monitor speakers - I'll just need the essentials.

I know this is probably asked occasionally but I couldn't find an existing forum post that helped and it's probably good to see what is hot right now.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Will

Return to posts index

Jaap van Hoewijk
Re: Ultimate studio set-up?
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:41:05 pm

It depends on your source footage. What are you shooting on?

Return to posts index

William Dron
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:50:39 pm

Jaap - I need to purchase a camera, too, so it's open. I'm currently using an HDR-FX1 so working in HDV. Will be looking for something similar but newer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:16:38 pm

You should talk to a company where people build systems of this sort FOR A LIVING... especially if you intend to make YOUR living off this system.

They will ask questions about capabilities you may not even have anticipated you will need, because they've been there and done that.

They will be more probing in you your needs analysis than anyone possibly can be in a mere thread in a forum.

They will build a system to suit your needs, and they will stand behind it.

Building one on your own is fraught with peril.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William Dron
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:46:50 pm

OK, sound advice for someone with my level of knowledge.

Next thing is finding a reputable system supplier in the UK. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Will

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:20:18 pm

I'm sure Peter Wiggins would be able to point you in the right direction. He's one of the FCP leaders from the UK and has his own very informative website. peterwiggins.com
Don Walker

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:21:27 pm

Okay, he's not one of the FCP leaders, but he does know what he's talking about.
Don

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:24:01 am

Hello Will

I believe our AJA UK dealer list is a good place to start in terms of quality Mac dealers (look for the Mac sign):

http://www.aja.com/where-to-buy/index.php?search=T&productsmac=T&productswi...

They do sell many other products of course but may tend to have a preference for AJA;)

If you want to talk drop me a line. If you want any introductions let me know.

Matty Causon
Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.
+44 7771 800832
matty@phosphor.pro

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:23:04 pm

CVP in the west midlands, Jigsaw in the south for starters. I've had good deals and (more relevantly) good advice from both. Or I'll happily go shopping for you and invoice.....

Nigel Beaumont

MBP 2.53 FCS 2 FCP 6.0.6 Aja IO black cables, shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:17:25 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You should talk to a company where people build systems of this sort FOR A LIVING... especially if you intend to make YOUR living off this system. "

There are plenty of people here that do MAKE A LIVING of their systems and can offer valuable information. People who build the systems may lean towards brands that they carry instead of a product hat might be more affordable or better suited for your setup. I'd do both - get that advice, and check back here for some feedback.

One thing about working for the web is that different rules apply. You don't have to worry about framerates or broadcast legal levels. You could shoot on Canon 5D, shooting at 30fps, convert the material and cut it and finally color correcting using only your computer monitor, because essentially that's what your audience will see. Oversaturated images that wouldn't really fly on TV can work well on the web as well as the contrast, which can be higher than on TV.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:39:50 pm

This is asked on a weekly basis on this forum so a search for Mac Pro, Best Mac, etc.... will yield some system set up information.

as for the "ultimate" studio setup, just click on my name there to go to my Profile and you'll see three Mac Pro setups that we use. The "Ultimate" is the first one and the other two are also really good.

As suggested by someone else on this thread, talking to a VAR is always a good idea. I still use a VAR to this day when configuring systems as he knows what really does and does not work out there in the real world since he sets up a couple of thousand systems each year. Not sure where you're located but I use the WH Platts company which has an office here in Atlanta but they service the east coast of the U.S.

http://www.whplatts.com

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]