FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Apple Laptop for HD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Baker
Which Apple Laptop for HD?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 5:25:27 pm

I am contemplating dipping my toe in the Apple waters, and want to buy a used Mac laptop for HD video editing and production. I have not so much as turned on a Mac, so I know nothing about them. What Mac laptop could I consider as a minimum that will handle HD, as in model, CPU, OS, clock speed? I am very mobile in shooting and editing video, so I really need a laptop. Prefer starting out with used, until I know I want to make the plunge. Curently using a Dell laptop with core 2 duo and Vegas Pro 9.0. Many thanks!

Max

Max

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Which Apple Laptop for HD?
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:11:00 pm

Look at the MacBook Pro.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:42:36 pm

The 17" MBP with an LED 1920x1200 matte screen is flat-out stunning, and it has an ExpressCard slot that can be used for eSata high performance disk access (much faster than FW800 even), and it also has a high performance graphics card that will help you for Motion especially.

Look for one with a 320GB disk or whatever is one or two generations behind on the disk size.

Factory refurbs have the same warranty as new (1 yr P&L), and you can add 2 years to that inexpensively anytime before the first year is up. Apple.com has these, also MacMall.

Do not get a "MacBook" (without the Pro), they don't have usable graphics cards and there are a few other issues as well.

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:15:43 pm

I've got a MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. It's fine for Logging and Transfer, but the main problem is that it is only capable of 2 GB RAM. The newer Macs go beyond that but you lose the Express slot, which is very useful for many add ons. I agree that you need more than the 160 GB HD. Not sure that you will save that much by buying used, since if you get a 160 GB drive you will probably need to upgrade it quickly with HD footage needs. I found I needed a quad core desktop Mac to really do the job right, but a MB Pro might get you down the road for a while, and prepare you for doing more taxing work later.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:50:05 pm

As I stated above, the 17" MBP keeps the ExpressCard slot.

The newer MBPs take up to 8 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM.

I use a FirmTek eSATA dual drive enclosure, rock solid and high performance, which saves me worry about the system drive filling up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]