FORUMS: list search recent posts

dropped frames warning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick August-Perna
dropped frames warning
on Jan 14, 2010 at 5:01:15 pm

I upgraded to FCP 7. I am working with 4 different formats and already inquired on the forum as to the best sequence settings and it was working for a while.
Now, after I had soem problems with the G-raid towers and am back and reconnecting all my media, I'm getting dropped frame warnings every time a clip needs rendering (Ex. an HDV clip on an XDCAM timeline etc). It's a dark green render bar, never orange which is typically where I see dropped frames happen.

Is this bug? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nick

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: dropped frames warning
on Jan 15, 2010 at 1:31:05 am

Hmm, I'm not sure what your work flow is, but I wouldn't work in an XDCam timeline. With multiple formats I'd work in a ProRes timeline. But like I said, I don't know what your workflow is and I don't know what your future intentions are for this project.

What are your RT settings? Open your RT tab (next to the timecode on your timeline) and select "Unlimited RT" and "Dynamic" for Playback Video Quality and Playback Frame Rate. I believe this forces FCP to play back the video at the expense of playback quality. When you're cutting the story, all you really need is to be able to see what you're doing.

When your ready to color grade or output, change your RT settings to "Safe RT" and "High" for Playback Video Quality and Playback Frame Rate, and the render everything.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:38:14 am

I've been suddenly encountering the same thing, mainly after adding TIFF images to the timeline. I'm working on a 3 minute promo video, all Pro Res timeline, it played fine today, until I started adding the TIFFS. I take them out and it then plays fine. I did not change the RT, but I'm now outputting the file to YouTube 'format' in FCP7. I have an audio voice over track we did today, things seemed to be running fine after doing it. I'm somehow convinced that the Tiffs seem to be a problem.

is there something that changes after a while with doing tons of Tiff additions, and moving things around? Not sure what 'causes' the dropped frames to happen, since the same timeline seems to start out fine and start experiencing it. How do I avoid it?

Thanks in advance.

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:51:44 am

Alf,

What is the resolution of your tiff files. I know FCP doesn't like doesn't like really big images. Ideally your tiffs should be 72dpi and the pixel dimensions should not exceed twice the dimensions of your canvas unless you absolutely need to. Does that make sense?

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:26:15 pm

Ok. Understood. That could be it. The one Tiff is 17MB (!!) and the other is 995 KB...hmmm that's a good starting place!

Thanks!

Alf

Alf
Panasonic HMC-150 & FCP on MacPro Dual Quads, 12 GB 7.0.1 on 10.6.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]