FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export quality from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kristin fraser
Export quality from FCP
on Jan 14, 2010 at 8:15:58 am

Why is it that fcp keeps changing the aspect ratio from square to ntsc ccir 601/dv whenever I import it in (this has happened when bringing in from motion and from mov's made from after effects).

When I export from motion - i get a nice crisp picture, when I export from fcp I get a fuzzy pixilated picture.

I tried going into the browser and manually changing it to Square and that didn't seem to help.

before I tried this I was going into the motion tab to distortion - often I was getting an aspect ratio of 12.5 ... when I zeroed it< i got the correct aspect but still the blurriness in the export.

The settings for both the clip and the sequence say square ... the sequence preset it square.

Also - sometimes I go into compressor and it says it's square then it changes to ntsc ccir 601/cv when I apply WMV - flip for mac to it.

What am i missing?

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Export quality from FCP
on Jan 14, 2010 at 3:10:49 pm

A total grokking of pixel aspect ratios is what you're missing.
There is a huge difference between settings and what appears on a screen because flags are set in the encode and your players have different ways of reading those flags and yoru applications may be set to disregard or auto correct for pixel aspect ratios. So there's at least 9 different combinations of settings that can be mixed up.

There's nothing easy about this PAR stuff. Nothing. You try to learn from your mistakes. But you can be absolutely certain that the machines are displaying what they've been told to show. You just have to figure out how to make all the setting work together.

Here's what I did: I created some circles and some squares and rotated them in AE. Then I supered some text over the footage that included the codec and PAR settings in various applications like FCP, AE, Motion, Compressor, and tried to figure out where things were getting messed up. It was interesting and it led us to standardized procedures for two different acquisition formats.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]