FORUMS: list search recent posts

High quality DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Marsolier
High quality DVD
on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:21:06 pm

Hello,

I have been desperately trying to get a good quality DVD for the past week, and for some reason I am not succeeding. If anybody could help, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

I use a DV Pal and I would like to make a DVD that plays on a NTSC TV. So I change the sequence settings on FCP to frame size "NTSC" and I keep the Pixel ratio on "PAL". In quicktime video settings I select "none". Then after editing I export my film as a quicktime movie, just changing the editing timebase to 29.97, and I check "make movie self contained". I get an excellent looking .mov file. But then when I drag it into TOAST 9 and make a DVD, it looks quite different. It seems like I lost a great deal of resolution, I can see pixels on the whites and the film is kind of choppy (like a frame is missing every second or so).
How could I get closer to the quality I am getting with my .mov file?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you might have...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: High quality DVD
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:44:46 am

[Lauren Marsolier] "I have been desperately trying to get a good quality DVD for the past week"

Your goal is clear, but your methodology is not. Creating good quality DVDs with Final Cut Studio is done properly using Compressor to encode and DVd Studio Pro to burn. Encoding and burning with Toast, especially from PAL to NTSC, is not going to generate the high quality you desire.

Is there a reason why you are avoiding Compressor and DVDSP?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:58:11 am

You should really transcode your media to NTSC first, what you are doing is a poor compromise.
Do a search on this board, there is plenty of info on this.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Lauren Marsolier
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:21:19 am

Thanks a lot for the response. I have been avoiding compressor and DVD Studio Pro only because I am self-taught in Final Cut Pro, and I had not realized that it was going to give me a better quality than TOAST, which I had used before. Now that I got your advice I'll try to work it out with the manual and forum. I really appreciate your help!
Lauren.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]