FORUMS: list search recent posts

At wits end

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
doug pagano
At wits end
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:26:59 pm

I can't get passed "Dropped frames on playback". I have tried everything I can think of and have found on-line. My timeline is pretty sophisticated but fully rendered. It is a DVCPro HD Project 720 60P. I have a line-cut dig'd from DVCPro Hd tapes via Firewire. Above that I have a 3 Cam multiclip captured from P2 media and converted to quicktime DVCpro HD. All sequence settings are correct. I only have 4 tracks of audo mixing to stereo, Audio is all 48Khz (No mp3 or other). I have a Lacie Biggest drive array striped correctly running on e-sata. While these are the specs for this particular project, I have the same issue with SD projects. Dropped frames happen in Edit to tape and Print to video whether going to Firewire or through my Kona 2 card SDI. I have trashed preferences, added RAM, Cleaned up the hard drive, removed all peripherals, Changed unlimited RT to safe and back again...This project is 2 and a quarter hours. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO RENDER A SEPARATE QUICKTIME MOVIE AND BRING IN TO ANOTHER PROJECT JUST SO IT CAN PLAYBACK!! Anyone???

G-5 dual 2.7Ghz; 8 GB RAM; OS X 10.4.11; Quicktime 7..6.4

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: At wits end
on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:21:25 pm

Your specs should be more than adequate for DVCPROHD. Until recently upgrading to a mac pro, I ran a Dual 2.0 G5 and it worked fine. Pro Res in HD was out of the question, but DVCPRO HD worked fine.

Some things to consider...is your drive nearly full? Drives slow down dramatically when they fill up.

Change your multiclip setting to "1-up" for final playback. This basically deactivates the other angles (you will see the green bar disappear off your timeline).

Make sure your Kona is in the correct slot.

Try turning off realtime scopes. I found this cleared up playback problems with large DVCPRO HD timelines, as it's processor intensive.

Some things to check

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:53:19 pm

[doug pagano] "I have a Lacie Biggest drive array striped correctly running on e-sata."

What percentage of free space remains on this raid?

Have you run the AJA read/write test on the raid? That's the only meaningful way to determine if the raid is delivering proper throughput.

[doug pagano] "I have trashed preferences, added RAM, Cleaned up the hard drive, removed all peripherals, Changed unlimited RT to safe and back again..."

That's a start. Now do the following:

1) Repair permissions using the Apple Disk Utility

2) Run Disk Warrior on all drives. If you don't have Disk Warrior either get it or find a new profession. You can't run big jobs without it.

If the above don't help, report back, I have additional and even more thorough maintenance procedures for you if necessary.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

doug pagano
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:46:54 pm

Thanks for the input thus far. Here is the result of my AJA Sys test: 4GB File at DVCProHD 720p60 with write values of 126.2 MB/s and read values of 123.4 MB/s. (Seems ok to me) I have a 2.5TB array with 460GB free. I did the permissions suggestion but no I don't have disc warrior. 23 years of this and I guess i need to go find a job selling shoes...or maybe I'll just post this project on my AVID. Seriously though...I'll be happy to run warrior on it if you honestly feel that is the fix. In my early days on the media 100 I remember having to do similar, although if I remember correctly it was part of the Mac utilities. If your other suggestions may be done before warrior let me know as the boss sometimes doesn't like to spend money :)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 13, 2010 at 12:43:09 am

Doug,

Don't go selling shoes right away, there's still hope. Disk Warrior straightens out boatloads of things on the Mac. BTW, I don't ever bandy about things that are unproven, and when I say DW is one of the best $99 investments a Mac owner can make, I really mean it.

Also, if all else fails, it might be time to pull out the secret weapon that I seldom divulge, i.e. Applejack. It's a free download that runs at boot on a Mac under Unix. If none of the other things work, install Applejack and write down the instructions on how to run it - ie. hold down the "s" key when booting and at the prompt type "applejack auto restart" and hit enter. AJ cleans out all Unix caches and essentially puts your computer back into the shape it was in the day you bought it, but without doing anything harmful or destructive.

Report back please...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 13, 2010 at 12:57:18 am

Just to add a thought into the mix: have you verified that you\'ve properly set the render scratch directory to your esata drive? If you are rendering to a slower internal drive or the system drive, that could be the culprit. Also, does your system drop frames randomly, or always at the same spot in the timeline? That could point to a corrupt render file if the second case is true.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Dropped frames on playback
on Jan 13, 2010 at 1:40:58 am

Unrelated to your actual question you will find that you get much more help when your subject line on a question gives the reader a good feeling about what the post is going to be about.

It also helps other people when they do searches.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

doug pagano
Re: Dropped frames on playback
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:24:53 pm

Thanks all.
In order...
I'm pretty anal about what goes into my computers but having said that I believe there has been a performance decline over the past few months. DW may be the option. THANKS

Matt...My scratch render is on my RAID and unfortunately the problem is intermitent (sorry to swear) I have deleted all render files and re-rendered entire timeline.

Zane...Right on. I did however spent about 2 hours reading all the posts on dropped frames during playback before posting, but you're right...thanks for bringing that up

I'll keep plugging forward and posting results, hopefully it's some form of USER ERROR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]