FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 intermittent audio garbling - please help :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan graetz
FCP7 intermittent audio garbling - please help :(
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:05:33 am

Been putting up with this problem for some time now - but can't any longer as I'm running a big live awards ceremony straight from my FCP timeline next week.

Every time I playback from the timeline in FCP7 I get intermittent audio garbles & crackles. It never happens on the same piece of audio and it doesn't matter whether it's speech, music, a mix of both, regardless of samplerate or bitrate, and regardless of whether i'm monitoring through headphones, built-in line output or my Kona 3 card. Rendering audio or doing a mixdown render doesn't solve the problem either.

When the intermittent issue occurs it kind of sounds like corrupted audio or like the computer can't keep up with the data rate. The vision isn't affected at all and there's no dropped frames being reported.

I've done an exhaustive search of this forum and others but can't seem to find an answer. I just updated to Quicktime 7.6.4 and FCP 7.0.1 to see if it would address this issue but it hasn't. I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on an Octo MacPro 3.2ghz with 8gb RAM connected through fibre channel to an XSan2 Promise RAID storage pool which is more than fast enough to handle what I'm throwing at it.

The projects I'm currently working on are 1080p25 ProRes HQ with 48khz 16bit audio. But I've had the issue with a variety of different project setups.

Any help would be enormously appreciated.
Regards,
dan graetz

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP7 intermittent audio garbling - please help :(
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:58:31 am

Try uninstalling the Kona drivers using the uninstall utility, then fix permissions using Disk Utility, then reinstall the Kona drivers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

dan graetz
on Jan 13, 2010 at 5:16:13 am

Hi David,

That seems to have fixed the issues. HUGELY appreciate your help on this one - you're a life-saver!

Cheers,
Dan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 13, 2010 at 9:39:49 am

Excellent Dan!!! Thanks for reporting back with the good news.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:21:02 pm

I've read of audio issues with the Kona3 having to due with lack of ref video being sent to the card. I've no idea how that might affect the Mac's audio, though.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

dan graetz
on Jan 16, 2010 at 10:10:10 am

AAAAARRRRGHHHH!!!!!
the problem has returned for no apparent reason - and it's even worse now. i'll try running ref video in and see if it fixes the problem.
i just did another uninstall, permissions repair and reinstall and it didn't change anything.
any other ideas guys? my live show starts tomorrow so i'm seriously in need of a solution.
any help would be massively appreciated.

cheers,
dan

Return to posts index

noa chan
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:09:57 pm

dan -

same thing happened to me around november 2009... eventually after uninstalling and reinstalling etc, the audio problem went away.

it just started coming back again yesterday for no apparent reason. and i don't even have kona drivers, i only work with video.

pleeeease let me know if you found a solution. i can't work with this problem. the audio crackling is so loud and sudden that it makes me jump everytime. and once it starts, it also starts affects the sound system wide.

problem only ever happens when i'm in FCP.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 18, 2010 at 3:12:44 pm

How are you monitoring your audio?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

dan graetz
Re: FCP7 intermittent audio garbling :(
on Aug 25, 2010 at 5:20:33 am

I've tested through every audio device option I have:
Built-in line output - to Mackie BigKnob mixer and then direct to headphones or through 5.1 system connected to Denon amp
Direct from Mac to headphones
AJA Kona 3 audio through breakout box to mixer then headphones or amp
Optical audio into Denon amp
ProFire 610 firewire audio interface to headphones or amp.

The glitches are never in the same place. Kind of sounds like the system isn't keeping up with the data rate - but I'm working with 1080p ProRes HQ off a fibre-attached Xsan volume capable of well over 500mb/s. I've tried playing back similar projects from an internal RAID in the MacPro and the same thing happens.

Ended up having to buy a KiPro and playback live show content from that and just use the MacPro for soundless wallpapers etc.

EXTREMELY frustrating. if anyone has shed any light the issue I'd hugely appreciate any info.

Return to posts index

Wendi Koble
Re: FCP7 intermittent audio garbling :(
on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:26:05 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there since I was having the same issue. Not sure if it's the same problem however but I was frustrated to not find a solution when I Googled the problem.

I work with a lot of external recorded audio from Zooms because I work with a ton of DSLR footage. My sequence settings were at 48KHz while the Zoom audio was 44.1KHz. Once I converted the audio files, I had no more problems.

I hope this helps...

Wendi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]