FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV print to video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Chabot
HDV print to video
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:40:47 pm

I am trying to output a sequence at a 59.94 frame rate on a Sony hvr 1500. I get the following message from FCP "this sequence is not compatible with HDV print to video".
I made an output yesterday at a 29.97 frame rate and had no problem. Now I need to output at 59.94 and FCP won't let me do it.
I did trash my pref. I also created in "Device Control Presets" a setting that match my sequence... I am at a loss... Do I need to use my Kona card to solve this problem or is there another way?
Thanks

Jules

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDV print to video
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:16:23 pm

Sony HDV doesn't do 59.94. That is a 720p format and not something it is compatible with. 29.97 only.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Julie Chabot
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:17:45 pm

Thank you for your answer and time.

Jules

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:23:24 pm

In addition to to what Shane said, let me ask, why are you mastering to HDV?

When you master to HDV you lose a generation and it hits graphics and text with another bad and unnecessary compression hit. Better choices are archiving as a digital file or mastering to a format such as DVCPro or HDCam.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Julie Chabot
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:12:00 pm

Thank you for the info. Although I am sorry to said I don't understand your answer completely.
We will be shooting in HDV (client's request) and I am now making screeners from archival witch I converted to 1080i at 59.94 to match my future sequence (HDV 1080i at 59.94 frame rate) So why am I loosing a generation? I am doing so not to lose quality... trying to preserve original video rate codec etc. I apologize in advance if my lack of technical knowledge is sooooo broad.

Jules

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:00:55 pm

There is no such thing as 1080i 59.94 HDV. HDV does not run at 60fps at 1080.

1080i60 is 29.97. Confusing, I know. But the "i" indicates INTERLACED, so 1080i60 60 interlaced fields, 2 fields per frame...30fps running at 29.97. 720p60 indicates PROGRESSIVE ("p")...so it is 60 full progressive frames running at 59.94.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Julie Chabot
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:32:58 pm

Got it.
Thank you so much.

Jules

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:55:22 pm

[Julie Chabot] "So why am I loosing a generation?"

You are losing a generation if you print HDV back to tape on the little DV tapes, because that is the nature of HDV. It does a process called "conform," which recompresses all frames.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]