FORUMS: list search recent posts

Format vs. Source Format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Turlick
Format vs. Source Format
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:07:43 pm

Hi-

Shot some footage on a Varicam 3700 at 1080i 30p (DVCPro HD). When I bring it in to FCP via Log & Transfer it is showing up as 1080p 30p. When I look at the clip's properties in the L&T window the "Format" column says it's 1080p while in the "Source Format" column it says 1080i.

It was a multi-camera shoot with 3 HDX-900's shooting DVCPro HD (1080i 30p) and the Varicam shooting DVCPro HD (1080i 30p). The HDX footage is coming in at 1080i but not the Varicam. Have just loaded the footage and noticed the discrepancy. Any thoughts on what I'm missing and how it will affect the edit?

Thanks-
Paul

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Format vs. Source Format
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:18:30 pm

Hi Paul,
Don't know much about Varicam, but I guess the footage is "psf" (progressive segented frame).
The footage is fully progressive, but write in camera as Interlaced.
Once downloaded treat it as Progressive.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:30:42 pm

So if I understand correctly there is no way to shoot 1080i 30p on the Varicam and have it remain 1080i for the edit. If so then the question is how to mix it in the edit with tape based footage that is 1080i 30p. What would the proper sequence setting be to edit them together?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:14:48 pm

drop in the hdx footage if final cut asks to change the sequence
settings, agree, then drop the varicam footage in. as long as
no rendering is necessary it should mix just fine.

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:31:48 pm

Thanks. I know that would probably work but I'm trying to understand what the proper choice of sequence setting would be. If you have to render do you render the HDX footage to the Varicam codec (1080p) or vice versa?

And again, does this mean that Varicam 1080i 30p will always come into FCP as 1080p 30p?

I'm sure there is a sufficiently confusing answer out there dealing with pull downs or something that I'm not quite figuring out.....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:38:24 pm

[Paul Turlick] "
I'm sure there is a sufficiently confusing answer out there dealing with pull downs or something that I'm not quite figuring out....."

No, there's not. Basically all of your footage is progressive, but it is transferred an in interlaced stream and it's known as progressive segmented footage. You shot 30p, treat your footage as 30p, and all will be well. Your footage is the same, it's just when capturing on a capture card, FCP uses the interlaced nomenclature. You don't have any pulldown.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:31:47 pm

[Paul Turlick] "So if I understand correctly there is no way to shoot 1080i 30p on the Varicam and have it remain 1080i for the edit."

You can't shoot p and expect i. Since you took the time to shoot p, I'd change the properties of all of your HDX footage and change the field dominance column from upper to none. Your Varicam footage should have the field dominance set to none already and then you should work in a none timeline, that will keep everything progressive. You layoff to 1080i tape as psf video.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:41:56 pm

I suppose I'm not understanding the difference between the tape and P2 acquisition. For instance, when we normally shoot on the HDX we'll shoot 1080i 24p and the footage comes in at 1080i and is cut in a 1080i timeline. Is that because it's not "true" progressive and the Varicam is?

Also, with this current project, 90% of our footage is HDX 1080i 30p and only our cutaway camera (Varicam...we just got it so we're doing some tests) was 1080i 30p I'm thinking it may be smarter to render the Varicam footage to the HDX timeline than vice versa no?

Thanks-
Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:04:41 pm

Thanks Jeremy. When you say "change all the properties of you HDX footage" what exactly do you mean? Just the field dominance or other settings as well....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:17:53 pm

[Paul Turlick] "Just the field dominance or other settings as well...."

Find the field dominance column in the browser and change it there. Any clips you have already added to a timeline will have to be changed as well. Once changed in the browser, anytime you add that clip to the timeline, it will remain at none.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:39:20 pm

Thanks again Jeremy.

Not to beat this thing anymore but just did a quick test. I created a timeline with 1080p30 sequence setting. Dropped in the Vcam clip and it was fine. Then dropped in an HDX clip (with field dominance changed from upper to none) and it wants to be rendered.

Conversely, using the same timeline setting (1080p30) I dropped in the HDX clip first and it asked me if I want to change the settings to match the clip. If I say yes the sequence setting changes to 1080i60.

Are there any other settings that need to be changed on the HDX clip other than field dominance?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2010 at 6:42:37 pm

Use the DVCPro HD 1080i60 codec in the timeline with the field dom of the clips and timeline set to none, and none of them should need to be rendered.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Jan 11, 2010 at 7:32:08 pm

Thanks Jeremy. All seems to be playing nice now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]