FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subclip and Masterclip relationships

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Mavros
Subclip and Masterclip relationships
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:47:18 pm

I have a question that has been bugging me for a long time. I want to know how to get subclips to update after making changes to the master clips they were made from. An example of this is sometimes an assistant when capturing tapes forgets to give it a unique reel name and sometimes I don't catch it until I've already made all of my subclips. I want to know if there is a way for me to change the reel name of the master clip and then have all of the subclips made from that master clip to automatically have their reel names changed as well. I also found out that one of my master clips (which is pretty long) is out of sync by two frames. I would love to be able to slip the sync of the master clip and have the sync fixed in the subclips as well. I feel like this should be possible, but until now it has eluded me.

Anybody know what I need to do?

Thanks,
Eli

Return to posts index

Eli Mavros
Re: Subclip and Masterclip relationships
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:19:02 pm

...from what I've read in the manual, it seems like this is a pipe dream, but maybe someone has a work around? One idea I have is to make the changes to the master clip, export it with the same name, and reconnect the master and subclips to the new media file. This seems a little bit of a jerry-rigged way to do it, but in theory should work. Thoughts?

Eli Mavros

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 11, 2010 at 5:17:23 pm

Eli, If you change the reel name on your master clip, it should update any subclips that reference the same file on disc, no? Reel names are stored in the source media files, not in the Final Cut project. Might need to relaunch FCP to get the change propagate across all subclips.

As for changing the sync, your idea sounds like it might work. But does your original "out of sync" master clip reference separate files for audio and video? If so, I wonder if when you relink your clips to a new piece of media, would they still be connected to the old audio?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Eli Mavros
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:06:24 pm

Thanks for the response Matt. Unfortunately the project that i was working on when I had the reel problem was a while back...when i have some down time, I might try to recreate the scenario (though from reading the manual it doesn't seem like there is any affiliation between the subclips and the masterclips that would allow me to do this). As for my solution about the sync issue, i gave it a whirl but it didn't work. Even though the length, number of tracks, etc...didn't change, fcp gave me a warning when i reconnected my master and sub clips to the new media file that there was a difference in length and reel name and that some things may be off. when I opened the subclips they had all lost their subclip limits.

Anyone have any other work-arounds that might work?

Thanks,
Eli

Eli Mavros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]