FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stitching Files Together

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Hughes
Stitching Files Together
on Jan 10, 2010 at 1:10:23 pm

Hi all,

I have footage that was captured using a firewire drive plugged directly in to the camera, which is very handy as it digitizes in to DV PAL so no tape logging! However it saves the video in 2GB clips, whilst this is fine most of the time, this time I need to use the multi clip editing tool in FCP 6.

I have put all the clips in order on the time line and exported as 4:2:2 Uncompressed 8 Bit which I thought would be the best thing to do rather than compress it as DV PAL again, but the file comes out at 50GB! The total amount of source footage was only 9GB to start with.

What would be the best way to stitch these clips together so I can use the multi clip editing tool in FCP 6?

I am on FCP 6 and the source footage is DV PAL.

Many thanks in advance to all whom can help.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Stitching Files Together
on Jan 10, 2010 at 2:13:42 pm

What drive us this? How is it formatted? If it were formatted in Mac OS Extended this wouldn't happen. If the files are made without and skips or repeats you can probably stitch them together in the QuckTime player.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Francis Hughes
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:06:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Tom,

This is the product they used

http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=150

It might not be the exact model but that is the device. Its not a usual external e.g. a lacie drive. The main issue is what to export as from final cut, 4:2:2 gives me a file of 50GB and going out as DV PAL makes the quality awful but the same size as the original clips in total.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 10, 2010 at 3:20:17 pm

Francis,
Go to the link YOU provided and read:

QuickTime Reference Movies
The FS-100 uses the FAT32 disk format, allowing up to 2GB of recorded video per clip. While recording, the FS-100 automatically creates a new clip when the 2GB limit is reached, ensuring that no frames are dropped. Depending on the length of your recording, you may have multiple 2GB clips.

After your recording is complete, you can go to the FS-100 Utilities menu and create a *QuickTime reference movie. This movie acts as a pointer, referencing your multiple clips to form one movie. This feature makes clip management more efficient, especially when editing—your NLE will import the reference movie as one clip.
*Because the QuickTime reference movie points to your original 2GB clips, the clips and the reference movie should always be archived together.

Now this is EXACTLY what i expected and wrote in my other reply.
(and it is exactly the same as what my app. does)

As for quality, remember that DV qt has a quality flag that defaults to 'horrible'.
That does not mean the file is bad, only that it is displaying bad looking to ensure the playback rate is met.
(You can alter that flag also with my QTchange app.)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Francis Hughes
on Jan 10, 2010 at 6:43:36 pm

Thanks Bouke!

Can you tell me if I can use the reference movie with multi clip editing, I had tried before but with no joy and nesting the clips does not seem to work either. This is why I was thinking of exporting the material again out of final cut. Also I believe that if your footage is in a reference file it wont save any colour corrections or effects. Would exporting a reference movie from final cut be doing the same thing as your software?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 10, 2010 at 2:21:35 pm

You could put them all in a single QT ref file.

I had some code laying around and made you something:
This util does it for you in batch:
http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=46

But i would think that a decent recorder would be so smart to do the same...

Let me know if this works for you.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Francis Hughes
on Jan 10, 2010 at 6:45:27 pm

Opps sorry admin I double posted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved