FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final cut pro and RED

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Segal
Final cut pro and RED
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:35:33 am

So, im editing a movie that was shot on the red camera. I got all of the footage on twenty separate DVDs (Don't ask why). All of the footage has a timecode burn in. My plan is to edit with this low res versions of the footage then replace the low res footage with the source footage shot on red. How do i import this footage so that the timecode matches the timecode on the burn in?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final cut pro and RED
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:50:00 am

You contact the people who provided you with these DVDs and ask what source they were made from. If they were dumped to tape, then what you need to do is get the source tapes (yes, I have heard of this being done).

If they are made from R3D files imported into a system, please ask them to provide you with the source files so you can edit with a PROPER Red workflow. Meaning import the RED footage as ProRes Proxy, or use one of the Red transfer tools to convert to an offline codec. Edit, then media manage and reimport at ProRes HQ.

Tapeless workflows, when dealing with offline/online, have to be done in very specific ways, or it will end up taking a long time and include many unnecessary steps.

If they did put to tape, then use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert the DVDs to ProRes Proxy or DV Anamorphic, and then adjust the TIMECODE of the clips to match that of the burn in. But then what will you do about REEL number? Another VERY important thing to have. Do each of the DVDs correspond to one tape? Then make sure you assign a name to the clips that matches that of the tape so that when you recapture, it goes smoothly.

Overall a LOT more communication needs to be happening. To just be handed DVDs with TC burn of RED footage shows a lack of knowledge of proper RED workflows. But if they are from tapes, then you are golden.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Todd Segal
Re: Final cut pro and RED
on Jan 9, 2010 at 1:46:22 am

I agree. And yes. Each of the DVDs corresponds to a tape number. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]