FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick FCP audio Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Hustings
Quick FCP audio Question
on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:58:09 pm

Hey Pasture,

I'm working with some rushes at the moment with incredibly poor levels of audio, peaking at about -46dB, so I've Normalized the audio which brings the levels up to about -6dB, but along with it, a helluva lot of noise, crackling, distortion etc.
So the audio needs replacing, thats a gimme, but can anyone suggest any FCP filters/settings I can use in the meantime to ease the pain so I can finish the picture edit without destroying my speakers or my ears?!
Using a combination of the low and high pass filters eased it up a little as did the AUBandPass but it's still really tough to get past the distortion and to focus on the dialogue! Any thoughts!?

Cheers,

Simon

Return to posts index

scott norton
Re: Quick FCP audio Question
on Jan 7, 2010 at 2:28:49 pm

Unfortunately, I do not have a ton of experience working with Soundtrack Pro, so I am not sure if it has multi-band parametric EQ within it. But if it does, or you have another program (I use Pro Tools) that does have good EQ - you can load the audio into it - put a multi-band EQ on an insert.

Then choose one band (make sure none of the others are defaulted to an "on" position), and make the "Q" as tight as possible - should look like a very sharp peak/dip.

Pull the gain all the way down - and sweep it across the spectrum while the track is playing. If you can find a part that exhibits only the offensive noise, without dialogue, etc.. even better. Loop that part and continue sweeping until you find the spot that removes the most offensive sounds.

Then you can open up the Q so that it removes more - and find the amount that does not adversely effect the "good" parts of the audio. It's a fine balance, but it will work with a little tweaking.

After finding a suitable EQ, bounce the track with that setting. Might be smart to save the setting so that you can recall it later - and make further adjustments.

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
Re: Quick FCP audio Question
on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:17:04 pm

Thanks for the advice Scott, I appreciate it!!

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]