FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow playback/editing FCP V.5 0.1 on G4 Powerbook

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Green
Slow playback/editing FCP V.5 0.1 on G4 Powerbook
on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:30:25 pm

Hello,
I recently purchased a used Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz Mac 2gb memory and installed FCP V.5.
I'm trying to cut my showreel but the vob files that i've copied to my hard drive are stuttering on playback, sometimes not even playing at all. Everytime i lay down something into a sequence i have to render, which can take 15 miinnutes for a 20 sec clip. Or it just crashes
I'm really suprised but it seems it can't handle these files, and other qt or avi files are much the same.
I haven't installed the other applications that come with FCP as i can't afford the HD space so i'm just running FCP. Currently have 65GB out of 110gb hard drive. Is this an issue? Tried ussing a firewire drive, this is worse.
Guys, are I doing something wrong? Do i need an older version of FCP, or is my computer just not powerful enough to cut on?
I am desperate! Please help

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Slow playback/editing FCP V.5 0.1 on G4 Powerbook
on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:51:31 pm

[Steve Green] "Guys, are I doing something wrong?"

The short answer is that you're doing everything wrong.

You're trying to cut VOB files, you should convert them into quicktime files that will be easier to edit.

You're working off of your system drive, which is also busy trying to run your computer.

You're working on an older, slower Mac with barely enough memory.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Steve Green
on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:52:16 pm

Thanks for the response. Very to the point.
I have a 1tb USB2 external drive i'll try for the media.
Will an extra 2 gb memory make a noticable improvement in your opinion?
And when i convert the vob files should i cut them up into smaller chunks to theres less for FCP to handle when importing?
Any advice is welcome

P.S Sorry to regular users but after i posted my question i read the admin notes about people posting basic questions on this forum and not using the FCP Basic forum. So as my question was quite basic i posted it there as well. Sorry for any annoyance, apologies to all.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:09:09 pm

USB is not recomended for video work. USB uses bursts of data and video needs a constant data rate.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:27:06 pm

If you can put more memory in your Mac, you should. It will help to stabilize FCP, even though it won't render faster. Use a firewire drive, not USB. Also, convert your VOB files to something that's friendlier, like DV.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]