FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 to 6 XML Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathaiel Sticco
Final Cut Pro 7 to 6 XML Files
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:33:14 am

Hey everyone,

In our editing network, we have an Intel mac running Final Cut Pro 7 and a G5 running Final Cut Pro 6. Now, we are starting a job where these two computers would probably have to exchange project files fairly frequently. I understand that project files can switch from Final Cut Pro 7 to Final Cut Pro 6 through the use of XML files. But we have misgivings about using this kind of exchange frequently. Does anyone know if there are any risks in using XML files to change between FCP 7 and FCP 6 frequently? Are there often corruption issues or incomplete project files resulting from this? If there are, we might have to downgrade the Intel mac to FCP 6.

Thanks,
Nate

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 to 6 XML Files
on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:44:18 am

One issue is that you can't have more than a few Title3D text files in the sequence. It will cause FCP to hang when importing.

I do this a lot and that has been my only issue.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Sticco
on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:22:23 pm

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Jim Hughes
on Jan 28, 2010 at 8:09:30 am

Shane

What settings should I use when exporting XML? It gives me the option of different versions (1 through 5)which one do I use? Also should I click on the "save project with latest clip metadata?" What is the difference there?

I am going from a FCP 7.0 to FCP 6.0

Thanks

Jim

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:30:06 pm

[Jim Hughes] "What settings should I use when exporting XML? It gives me the option of different versions (1 through 5)which one do I use? "

Version 4:

#46 - Supported XML versions

Shane's Stock Answer #46 - Final Cut Pro and versions of XML it supports

FCP4 supports XML version 1 only
FCP5 supports XML versions 1 and 2
FCP5.1 supports XML versions 1, 2 and 3
FCP6 supports XML versions 1, 2, 3 and 4
FCP7 supports XML versions 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

[Jim Hughes] "Also should I click on the "save project with latest clip metadata?" What is the difference there? "

Why not? Difference from...what? Metadata is stuff like timecode and reel number, and any comments you added in the project. I'd keep that.

Shane

Return to posts index

Peter Do
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:00:08 pm

What if I wanted to transfer the whole entire project file over to an older version of Final Cut, say version 5.1 from version 7? I did the steps listed above and all it brought over was the sequence I just happened to be on, when exporting the XML file, thinking it was going to bring over the entire project. And it also gave me a log list full of errors, although it still worked anyways, I just had to reconnect the footage. But yeah, is there a way to do that? To basically "down-convert" an entire project to an older version as opposed to just a single sequence? Thanks!

Peter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:11:05 pm

[Peter Do] "What if I wanted to transfer the whole entire project file over to an older version of Final Cut, say version 5.1 from version 7?"

IN the Browser do a SELECT ALL and then do the XML export. It will bring over everything.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]