FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Express and .mov files from footage shot with JVC HDV Camera (1280x720; 24p)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steph Gold
Final Cut Express and .mov files from footage shot with JVC HDV Camera (1280x720; 24p)
on Jan 5, 2010 at 7:47:14 pm

Hi,
I just bought a MacPro Pro and latest version of FC Express (v.4). However, I'm not able to import .mov files from footage I shot with JVC HDV Camera (model JVC GY HD 100, 1280x720; 24p).

Additionally, the QuickTime player (latest version, v.10) won't open these files. It suggest to go to the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3523 (apparently, I would need to install Final Cut Pro, which translates into an additional $900).

I'd really like to be able to play back these files so I can transcribe my footage. Plus, I'd like to be able to do a rough cut (won't need all the components of FCP).

Any suggestions on how to address these two needs? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Express and .mov files from footage shot with JVC HDV Camera (1280x720; 24p)
on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:28:02 pm

That camera was designed to work with FINAL CUT PRO, not Express. The main shooting format of the camera is XDCAM, which FCE does not support. It also shoots HDV, so you might try shooting that format. Not positive about FCE support for that camera though.

[Steph Gold] "(apparently, I would need to install Final Cut Pro, which translates into an additional $900). "

You will need to buy and install FCP if you shot with the higher end settings (35mbps), as that is XDCAM.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Express and .mov files from footage shot with JVC HDV Camera (1280x720; 24p)
on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:30:13 pm

Shane got here first. More authoritatively, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 6, 2010 at 1:12:09 am

The GY HD100 shoots HDV to Mini DV tape or M2T files to the hard disc recorder.

The newer GY HM100 shoots to SD cards

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jerry Bullock
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:27:04 am

Steph - I am a confessed "newbie" to all this. Give me some MII footage, decks, TBCs, etc...and I'm ready to go.

What I'm trying to do is go from my gy-hd100u into my new MCP using Veescope to capture (also has waveform, vectorscope, etc..) and edit in FCExpress. Can't get there - Can't get Veescope to give me any picture from my JVC. It recognizes the JVC but can only get a pic from the built-in camera.

Here's a very dumb question:

1 - Can I capture a direct feed (firewire) from my JVC into FCExpress? Tape from my camera works great - just can't get a live feed.

2 - have you used Veescope Live - or have you even heard of it? I want to use it (or something like it) so I can use my MBP as a production monitor (and all the other calibration tools would be nice too) and capture software.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]