FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped frames due to "slow disks" - using Fibre Channel RAID.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Frishberg
Dropped frames due to "slow disks" - using Fibre Channel RAID.
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:26:08 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but it's difficult to diagnose this particular issue.

My Problem:
Final Cut Pro 7.0.1 continues to report dropped frames due to "Slow disks", while I try to play back a single stream of DVCProHD 1080i. The only problem is that all the media is located on a G-Tech Fibre Channel RAID that my AJA Disk Test clocks at 300 MB/sec. No other drives are connected. I have no idea where the slow down is occurring.

My Setup:
I have a 2007 Mac Pro (3.0 Ghz, 8 Core, 8GB of RAM) connected via Apple Fibre Channel card to a G-Tech G-Speed FC XL RAID. The RAID is 8 TB in size - 12 drives configured in RAID 50 mode. There's only about 1TB of media on the RAID - everything else is free. As I said, AJA System test clocks it at 300 MB/sec for Read and Write. No other computer is connected to the RAID. The Mac Pro is booting off of two 1TB Western Digital drives striped in RAID 0. Both drives have about 90% remaining capacity and have been recently zeroed. The computer itself has had a logic board replaced and a brand new fibre channel card installed.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - and please let me know if you need any more information; It's my first post here.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Dropped frames due to "slow disks" - using Fibre Channel RAID.
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:42:23 pm

[Harry Frishberg] "Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but it's difficult to diagnose this particular issue.
"

Not a problem, someone will be able to help. Patience.
Meantime, you can search here on the forums for the brand and model of RAID and for that error text stringand you will find many threads. One might help you out.
don't answer my post, I can't help you but someone will ask, "Is this a suddenly new issue or has it never worked for you?"

The most likely cause is that your scratch disk has been set to a standard internal drive. Aside from that, common as it is, the only way to deal with this is to contact the manufacturer or drop by their user support forums, if they exist.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 5, 2010 at 4:51:03 pm

First, why would you raid0 your boot drive? There's no point in this and can and will cause MAJOR issues if one of those drives goes down.

Second, what PCI slot is your raid card in and do you have any other PCI cards in your computer?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Harry Frishberg
on Jan 5, 2010 at 4:57:49 pm

Thanks for replying Jeremy.

I RAID 0'd my boot drive for speed. I realize the increased chances of drive failure, so it's backed up daily. Are there any other downsides I'm not aware of?

The Fibre Channel card is in slot 4, running at full speed. I also have a Firmtek eSATA Card below it and a PCIe card for a Matrox MXO2.

In response to David, thanks for the advice. This is a recurring problem, and I've yet to find anyone on the G-Tech forums that has the same issue. At this point i'm not sure if it's a problem with the RAID or with something else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]