FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Seamless video loop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Holton
Creating Seamless video loop
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:33:42 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for the best practice for creating seamless video loops using FCP. So far:

1. I'm taking the selection I want to loop into the timeline at the roughly matching in and out points.

2. Cut it in half and swap the two clips around

3. I then click on the edit point to bring up the Trim Edit viewer where I can preview outgoing and incoming clips.

So far so good.

Now I can eye match the out and in points of the two clips side by side BUT the killer piece of functionality would be to see the two transparently overlayed - like an onion skin.

My final step would be to apply a dissolve but I want to the the edit as close as possible before adding any 'effects'

Is this achievable in FCP or should I look at another package?

Thanks

Stuart

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Creating Seamless video loop
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:40:30 pm

Onion skin? Sorry, this ain't AE.

You can stack up the layers on two tracks, overlap a bit. Then add the Difference composite mode (Modify) to the upper layer. Slip the clip until it appears solid black. That means the frames are identical. Then remove the mode.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:41:46 pm

Why don't you just put the split clip on two different layers, temporarily reduce the opacity on the top layer, and slide it around on the timeline as necessary?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Holton
on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:47:51 am

Kevin & Dave thanks for your very swift and helpful responses

Stuart Holton
Head of Digital
adam & eve group
London

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:35:59 pm

This is how we've built seamless loops in After Effects for many years. I cannot recall who came up with it, probably Trish Meyer or Brian Maffitt but it's a standard techniqe in palce for more than a decade.

One creates a video clip, divides it in half and make the connection. Actually doesn't have to be at the 50% mark, if your loop is indeed "seamless" the cut can happen anyplace the loop cycles.

However, the "trick" is knowing that "Frame First" is exactly one frame away (motion- or time-wise) from "Frame Last."
You should not need to apply a dissolve or use any transparency tricks to align your two segments if your loop is seamless.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]